THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonathan
What style of clip is best for pit probe temperature using an expanded metal grate - the little pinchy looking thing or the one that is more of the "A frame" that the probe slides through?

Feel free to educate me on the real names of these clips :)

Last edited:
I have both styles and side by side the alligator clip will read a higher temp as it is actually reading the temp of the metal and not so much the air. I like it better because it takes up less grate space. Just have to remember the temp difference, which is only a couple degrees.

A small potato......

But you would have to get new potatoes each time...?

If I don't have any of those probe holders, I do a small ball of aluminum foil because I have that in excess compared to a potato. And if a standard probe set up is making things cramp in my smoker, it is time for a bigger smoker. Just sayin'... :heh:

You don't need it for the new stick burner. :-D Trust me. I outfitted my LSG with probe and guru ports and never used them. Well, only once or twice but that's when I was running 180* to smoke home cured bacon.

No need. Thermapen is your friend.

You don't need it for the new stick burner. :-D Trust me. I outfitted my LSG with probe and guru ports and never used them. Well, only once or twice but that's when I was running 180* to smoke home cured bacon.

No need. Thermapen is your friend.

So you roll with just the Tel-tru on the door? I've done blind smoking before and it was nerve racking.

So you roll with just the Tel-tru on the door? I've done blind smoking before and it was nerve racking.

The tel tru gauges are just my guide. I'm familiar enough with the smoker so I go off of time and color when I probe with the thermapen. I don't sweat temps variances of +/- 50* either. Doesn't affect the end product at all.

The tel tru gauges are just my guide. I'm familiar enough with the smoker so I go off of time and color when I probe with the thermapen. I don't sweat temps variances of +/- 50* either. Doesn't affect the end product at all.

For me it depends on the situation. Lunch meat for myself? Sure, sometimes I just wing it. For parties where guests are involved, I kind of like to show people I know what I am doing. And honestly most of my cooks I look like Harry Soo with probes and tech coming out of the ass :heh:

Last edited:
Lol, I hear you. Nowadays I don't care who's around really. I just let 'er rip. Stick burner that is. Well, I haven't really used anything other than a Thermapen on any of my cookers in a long while. I appreciate the simplicity of bbq and what it truly is supposed to be. Kind of like what the old timers taught me here when I was a new booty all in to gadgets and stuff.

Door temp is not the same as grate temp. Come on man, are you a rookie? :icon_blush:

Once you Learn your Smoker or smokers in general you don't need to now the temp difference in Door gauge and grate temp The Meat will tell Ya.....:wink:

I used to Run my Maverick More so I didn't have to walk outside and check Temp but too many probe issues......bought 6-8 probes so I quit using it. When I got the Gravity Fed I didn't have a Thermo for it yet so I pulled out the Maverick - had to give it a Good Wipe Down it was so Dusty.........

Back in the day all we had were the cheap bi-metal thermometers that came with the smoker. No digital, no wifi, no probes or wires, not even something as accurate as a Tel-tru. But it all worked just fine because, once you learn your smoker, the thing that matters is less the absolute temp and more the consistency from cook to cook. And the barbecue was spectacular.

Today I use probes and a Thermapen, why not? But the important thing is to control the tech and not let the tech control you. I see so many folks working themselves into a lather, hung up on top-to-bottom or left-to-right temp variations or +-20 deg swings over time -- no need for that. IMHO the tension and stress will be more likely than the temp to screw up your 'que!

Back