Expanded metal rack flipped?

phyx

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I've got an OKJ Highland and I'm thinking of doing my own version of the expansion rack mod.

I've noticed that the replacement racks are made with mild steel angle and expanded steel. LOTS of smokers use this combo for their racks. The expanded metal is usually welded to the inside of the angle so that when inserted into the smoker, the piece of angle is on top of the expanded metal and you can't see the welds.

I've also noticed that the angle causes the rack to sit about 1/2" to 1" higher than stock, effectively reducing your clearance between racks.

Apart from aesthetics, is there any reason to not flip the rack over so that the angle is on the bottom and the expanded metal is on the top (welds visible)? I'm thinking if I flip the rack I can gain a bit more room to cram a brisket or pork butt under the top rack. The only drawback I can think of apart from aesthetics is the angle will create a 1/2" to 1" lip on the rack that I'll need to consider when placing/removing meat.

Another alternative I considered was to use flat or round bar instead, but I have a feeling that would warp.

Thoughts?

TIA

I had racks for my Longhorn custom made. With the expanded below the angle.

Thanks Craig.

So, if you visualize the profile of the angle as an L, typically the expanded metal is welded to the "top" of the horizontal piece of the L, then when all 4 sides of angle are welded, the whole thing is flipped over for cooking, and now the profile looks like an upside down L with the expanded on the bottom of the horizontal flat part. After flipping, there is no lip to the full rack.

If I understand you correctly, your racks were welded with the expanded metal underneath the horizonal part of the L rather than the top. Did you flip them over, or did you keep them as is and deal with the lip it created? If so, did you have any issues?

Thanks again. :thumb:

How about 3 Ls and a flat bar across the front. It'd be like a perforated blackstone griddle.
You would have the lip on 3 sides to stop a runaway sausage or something escaping your spatula/tongs.

How about 3 Ls and a flat bar across the front. It'd be like a perforated blackstone griddle.
You would have the lip on 3 sides to stop a runaway sausage or something escaping your spatula/tongs.

That just might work! As long as everything is securely welded I think it might be ok. Thanks!

It doesn't matter which way you weld it. All the same surface area. I prefer to avoid the lip on the front so use with expanded metal on top

Back