best cheap frugal reliable smoker for 2 people?

brady, you're exactly like my best friend--you must be german lol. i just read this whole thread and i've been cracking up the whole time. how long did you take to decide from the beginning of this thread until you placed an order? Kudos, though, you are one thorough shopper.

i read and read and read some more for a month, then made this thread once i had my final choices down.

ok phase one, full chimney all vents open. i stuck my thermapen through top vent its reading 455. so i guess im not going to have a high temp problem on this like i read some other people have.

ok phase one, full chimney all vents open. i stuck my thermapen through top vent its reading 455. so i guess im not going to have a high temp problem on this like i read some other people have.
Have had my 18.5 read as high as 530° at grate level with the pan out. Lump burns hot.

looks like the thermometer is off more than 50 degrees. maybe i can adjust it? im using my thermapen on top vent but its not meant for that purpose so maybe i shoulndt judge the stock thermometer with my thermapen. anyhow its almost 2 hours since i put a fully lit chimney in there and its still going strong at around 400 degrees now. i think im impressed this wont be wasting much charcoal at all

quick question dot or tell tru thermometer? both are the same price but with the dot i think you can use as a grate thermometer not just for meat temp.

well, i just finished first cook. did hot and fast chicken recipe and afterward roasted vegetables with residual heat. the salsa for some reason had a deeper more intense flavor than roasting vegetables in the oven or even on my lodge hibachi. everything tastes better.

i live in cali and its not humid here. i emptied ash and put cover on and its in my garage.
there is ash residue inside. any reason why i cant hose the inside before next use instead of now after use? i dont think anything will rust.

one other thing i noticed a light coating of dust on the veggies that i couldnt see on the chicken. is this normal? i used kingsford blue bag briquettes.

anyway i am very glad i finally bought a smoker. VERY glad i bought it.

Back