THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I didn't read the whole thread, but IMO go with the original 18.5 WSM. PERFECT size to cook most occasions.

I had the 18.5 and went with a 22, and I hated how much more fuel it consumed compared to its little brother whenever I didn't need the extra space.

This will run counter to what most folks say. Bigger is better, and most of the time I agree, but for starting out I'd go with the smaller WSM.

I saw PBC mentioned too, which by all accounts is a great smoker also, and I believe closer to the original WSM in size.

yep, information overload.

now its pcb, wsm 14.5 or akorn.

i have to admit i HATE cleanup and the pbc is perfect in that sense. also, i love taking advantage of kingsford sales so thats another plus for pbc. i do already own a thermapen, i wouldnt need a maverick 33 with pbc i think? another plus there. just make sure to dial in the bottom vent. not too much learning curve with the pbc?

wsm is small and would be perfect for 2. but cleanup i read is kind of a drag. also would require me to start buying lump and give up kingsford sale, not sure im into that. also it would probably be a smart thing to buy a maverick 33 along with it. also would consider a bbq guru for it since i read its not easy to keep a steady temp on it. bringing up the cost to more than both akorn and pbc.

akorn, well the seal problem i keep reading about if you want to cook low and slow is a problem i dont want to deal with. or get a bbq guru but then its over $400. id rather something closer to set and forget. also since its a griller i personally would sell my hibachi, but i love that little thing for pure grilling. and id have to use lump with the akorn too, giving up kingsford sale.

so basically now ive realized my three biggest requirements

easy cleanup, ease of use and be able to use kingsford.

so should it be the pbc? what do you guys think? is that choice what it comes down to for me?

its hard to make the decision

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said you have to use lump in a wsm? You know you can use a wsm just like the pbc or as originally intended. More flexible imho.

...and did one of your posts say you have a smokey joe? If so, why no love for diy mini wsm? You're only about $60 away from that.

Who said you have to use lump in a wsm? You know you can use a wsm just like the pbc or as originally intended. More flexible imho.

...and did one of your posts say you have a smokey joe? If so, why no love for diy mini wsm? You're only about $60 away from that.

well supposedly with the wsm 14.5 i read its best to use lump because its so small the ash buildup would be a problem for a longer style cook like pork butt. i have a smokey joe but the one with the vent on the bottom not the sides. i think they recommend the one with vent on the sides for the build.

Kettle is the best for the money. However I don't find that the PBC uses as much charcoal as you think.

I usually fill my basket farless than the PBC directions for anything shy of a 8+lb pork butt. For ribs, chicken, tri tip, etc I barely need enough to cover the bottom of the basket of unlit coals and then dump 1/2 a chimney of lit on top. Ends up being about as much as I'd use for a hot grill in my kettle, and it will smoke ribs for 5hrs.

I prefer my WSM but I recommend the PBC to anybody who is either starting out, has low-medium capacity needs or just wants something easy with good results.

PBC all the way.

i have to admit i HATE cleanup and the pbc is perfect in that sense. also, i love taking advantage of kingsford sales so thats another plus for pbc. i do already own a thermapen, i wouldnt need a maverick 33 with pbc i think? another plus there. just make sure to dial in the bottom vent. not too much learning curve with the pbc?

wsm is small and would be perfect for 2. but cleanup i read is kind of a drag. also would require me to start buying lump and give up kingsford sale, not sure im into that. also it would probably be a smart thing to buy a maverick 33 along with it. also would consider a bbq guru for it since i read its not easy to keep a steady temp on it. bringing up the cost to more than both akorn and pbc.

akorn, well the seal problem i keep reading about if you want to cook low and slow is a problem i dont want to deal with. or get a bbq guru but then its over $400. id rather something closer to set and forget. also since its a griller i personally would sell my hibachi, but i love that little thing for pure grilling. and id have to use lump with the akorn too, giving up kingsford sale.

so should it be the pbc? what do you guys think? is that choice what it comes down to for me?

With those as your three biggest requirements, I think the kettle should still be in the running. I was surprised on how easy it is to smoke things in mine and if you have a pan to catch drippings, cleanup is pretty easy as well :).

I don't have any experience with the pbc....

I have an akorn and the seal isn't perfect but as long as i don't over fire it at the start I don't have a hard time hitting and holding low temps. Its a real charcoal miser too.

I've used my wsm with lump and kingsford, both work fine and I can't imagine what anyone would find hard to clean about it.

Don't get too hung up on kingsford, its just fuel and lump can be pretty reasonable. In fact if cleanup is a concern you might want to consider ditching briquettes. You'd be amazed at how much less ash you have to deal with.

Overall you have some fine choices, I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter what.

I am sure you will be happy if you go with the PBC. It is so much fun and so little work that I have not used my Weber Kettle since I got the PBC last June. Good luck in your search.

Well did you decide? I have a 14.5" WSM certainly not my favorite smoker but if you use lump ash is no problem. Temp is steady but it takes some messing around with it to keep it happy. Not a bad cooker for 2 people. At the price it is a bit much. I don't think you will be cooking for 2 just saying it starts out for 2 then you are cooking for your kid's, if you have any, birthday party for 20 people trying to run multiple cookers all to keep up. I would say consider a vision grills kamado from sams club. Not a bad grill or smoker and I got mine for 190 but it will need a gasket upgrade for $30-40 for nomex. I got mine ordered now as I fried the gaskets but it is a fuel miser to the extreme. I have got multiple cooks out of one load of charcoal. It's nice and I plan to get a big green egg as soon as I can get a car sold. The vision grills has some quality issues but you know for the price it's not bad. I have the series M by vision grills to be specific.

rustykettle, that was what i was afraid of if i got the 14.5 i see many reviews with the same problem maintaining temp.

my lodge hibachi is a bit of a pita to clean. so now im thinking a kettle now and add a craycort grate to get the same cast iron flavor i get from the lodge hibachi. plus i get to have a cover unlike the lodge hibachi.

so i was looking at weber silver or gold vs jumbo joe. after much more reading i see that the air intake holes on the bottom of the jumbo joe are smaller than the kettles, therefore probably easier to maintain a constant temp for ribs etc. low and slow.

i dont know man i dont know when i ever decide. i just want to buy once

I hate to say this but the only way to buy once is to go at least a little bigger than you cook right now or never let anyone eat your Q.

rustykettle, that was what i was afraid of if i got the 14.5 i see many reviews with the same problem maintaining temp.

my lodge hibachi is a bit of a pita to clean. so now im thinking a kettle now and add a craycort grate to get the same cast iron flavor i get from the lodge hibachi. plus i get to have a cover unlike the lodge hibachi.

so i was looking at weber silver or gold vs jumbo joe. after much more reading i see that the air intake holes on the bottom of the jumbo joe are smaller than the kettles, therefore probably easier to maintain a constant temp for ribs etc. low and slow.

i dont know man i dont know when i ever decide. i just want to buy once
No one buys once...there is much more to explore :mad2:

Yeah I got 10 smokers and grills. There is never an all in one. If you want to buy once spend more a lot more. Bigpoppasmokers.com is doing their smokers in 6 payments now so yeah it might be a way to go. I like ceramics as they fit me. The 14.5" is not bad but it needs to be given lump charcoal or it is very unhappy. Only smoker that acts like it is alive. It is the best brisket smoker ever. Seriously I love brisket from this thing.

Back