Smoked Beef Plate Bacon Ground?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I have had a pack of wagyu smoked beef plate bacon in the freezer for a while, and honestly I'm not a huge fan of it cooked like traditional bacon so I was considering grinding it and adding it to my chuck for some burgers I'm doing tonight. Anyone tried this?

On occasion I make beef bacon from brisket flats, basically to have a lower fat and lower salt (1.5%) product. Although I've never ground it and blended it with burger it should work just fine. The only potential issue I could see would be the salt factor.... if the bacon was really salty you might have to cut back on your seasoning if you are grilling burgers or making meatballs.

Something to think about would be to use it in meatloaf, or any loaf pan meat (like gyros). I make meatloaves ahead and set in the freezer on oiled wax paper for a couple of hours, then vacuum seal. They keep their shape just fine and will usually thaw in one day in the fridge.

Another idea I'll toss out would be to grind the beef bacon and mix into burger and make beef snack stick. You will need some curing salt, and after forming into logs they cure for 24 hours. But these have no casing and get hot smoked. The Morton recipe calls them 'pepperoni' but in my eye they are more of a snack stick.

TCJiRwS.jpg

Back