Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Scott
I'm usually cooking the same regular cuts of meats including:

1. Brisket
2. Tri tip
3. Beef short ribs
4. Baby back ribs

I'm interested in hearing about other meats you have tried. Always looking four recommendations on different things to try.

Thanks for the help.

Boston Butts
Chicken 1/4’s
Whole chicken
Pork steaks
Beef Tongue-once.It was good but expensive and a lot of trouble.
Country Style Ribs
Pork Chops
Pork Tenderloin

Spareribs
meatloaf
lamb shanks , any shanks actually.
pork belly
fish
hell, if it is protein, smoke it.
and fatties.
and cheeseits and bacon wrapped triscuits
and bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos

if you can eat it, you can probably smoke it first

leg o lamb
leg o goat
whole fish
chops
meatloaf
turkey breast
corned beef

lots to choose from

About any critter can by 'qued. Besides the various meats available in the store, I have cooked a lot of wild game. Dad and I used to assist the Jeff. City Lions Club with their annual game feed fundraiser. Some of the critters included: raccoon, bear, nutria, muskrat and beaver. These were all parboiled in a vegetable stock to help render out the fat in the meats and then we would finish them up on the smoker. We would then pull the meats for serving. Elk, moose, venison and antelope were all rubbed, cooked and sliced.

I once told a buddy of mine I could barbecue about anything but the three Ps. He asked what the three Ps were and I said, pigeons, possums and pets. He then related his woeful tale of having to humanely put down a donkey he had been given by a neighbor. The donkey was mean and ornery and had killed one of his calves. My buddy asked if I could cook any cut from that donkey. I thought about it and I told him this:

"I think what I would do is cut out the back strap, chill it, rub it and smoke to about 140F, let it rest a bit, slice it and serve it covered in raw onions."

Buddy asks me, "Juggy why would you cover the cooked meat in raw onions?"

My reply was, "The raw onions are on the meat you so can tell your friends that you had a piece of @$$ that was so good it brought tears to your eyes!"

But seriously, just about any cut of meat can be cooked over an open fire or inside a smoker.

Don't forget Gator!

avfjm8K.jpg

Ok. Thanks for the ideas. I've done the pork shoulder, pork belly burnt ends, even oxtails, but these are great ideas. I'm looking for the cuts of meat that people generally don't consider but actually can be a really good meal. Thanks for all the comments so far. Very appreciated.

Brisket
Chicken
Beef ribs
Turkey

I would do beef ribs more often but I can't find them around here. When we go visit my son and his family in Pearland TX I always pick some up a HEB.

Back