BBQ for a cause

ehk49

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Eric
This is something that has been on my radar since the holidays and I finally got a break in my schedule to line up with decent weather. So, my wife and I are cooking dinner for about 40 people at a local homeless shelter tomorrow. We both took the day off today and made a date day out of shopping for supplies. I figure they probably get a lot of pasta dishes over there. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but wanted to do something different, and we landed on pulled pork. We had a real hard time finding butts but managed to come home with 36 pounds worth. On top of that we'll be doing baked beans, slaw, and blueberry cobbler. The butts are rubbed down and in the fridge, so it's just a matter of getting up early tomorrow and getting a fire going in the Outlaw patio. I have to say, I'm pretty psyched about giving back to the community and scratching my BBQ itch at the same time.

Love it! Before My FIL passed away he would smoke meats and cook meals on a weekly basis for the homeless and the kids whose parents were strung out. I helped out quite frequently and will remember the comments, the thank you’s, and the kids who got their only meal that day for rest of my life. It is rewarding to give into your community, especially when you know they can’t repay you. It’s these types of service and volunteer work that keep our communities strong. Thank you for doing this!

Well, it was a busy day so I didn't get any pictures as I hoped to, but the cook went well. We taste tested everything, and my only regret was not saving a little bit of everything for my own family, but I think the shelter needed the food more than we did. The drop-off was sort of anti-climactic. They still have COVID restrictions in place, so we had to drop the food off prior to the scheduled 6 PM dinner. We got there around 5:30 with freshly pulled pork and piping hot baked beans, and nicely chilled coleslaw and berry cobbler. We got a handful of "thank-yous" from some people, presumably residents of the shelter, and were on our way. Wife and I went back home and had a beer. At the end of the day, it felt good knowing that we helped out some people in need, and it made us stop and think about how lucky we are to have what we have.

Back