BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #2 - Spareribs (Closes tomorrow night!)

Picked up two racks of spares, trimmed them up.

017-4.jpg

Threw them on the smoker....temps at 275.

020-7.jpg

Rubbed with Simply Marvelous Cherry.

019-7.jpg

Glazed with Blues Hog Original.

024-6.jpg

030-3.jpg

Not too happy with final shots....but they tasted fantastic!

I think I saw NUTZ in that pose last year when he was supposed to be cooking chicken :becky: He was not anywhere as cute though.

oh, and nice ribs

Hold on now, I think we have a possible DQ due to a Rule 6 violation. Chris is a real stickler for the rules and this pic definitely shows a "side" (in addition to a sidekick). I'm sure you were thinking showing those mashed beets and noodles were probably worth an extra 10 votes at least, but they are not allowed. :tsk:

I think maybe if you use this as your final pic, Chris might let the infraction slide this time.

Today was a beautiful day to Q. I trimmed up a couple of racks of spares and put SM cherry rub on one and on the trimmings. My wife hasn't been eating anything spicy or highly seasoned recently so the other rack just got salt and garlic powder. Put them in the Bandera at 250 with Stubbs and apple wood. I haven't been foiling for a while, but decided to today. After about 2 1/2 hours wrapped in foil with honey and raw sugar. 45 mins in foil and back out. I reduced the juices from the foil into a glaze and started brushing on the racks. Pulled them off after another 45 mins. Don't know if they're "Master" ribs, but they were very good.

Last edited:
Juicy looking ribs, Campdude. I remember the last time my wife wasn't eating anything spicy. It only lasted until our daughter was born. :shocked:

My Turn!

Last month, I had a work trip to Memphis. Naturally, while in Memphis I wanted some real Memphis ribs. Guerre recommended a place called The Bar-B-Q Shop. It was a great little neighborhood place. I liked it and had some fantastic spare ribs. I really really enjoyed their dry rub ribs. So, naturally, I asked for a bottle of their rub and have been itching to try it out since getting back. So, here they are:

One rack of spares:
P1000122.JPG

Trimmed up St. Louis style, using Mr. Bob's fine instructions:
P1000123.JPG

Here is the rub I'll be using, it is a no sugar, low salt rub:
P1000125.JPG

All seasoned up:
P1000126.JPG

Onto the UDS, with a chunk of apple wood:
P1000130.JPG

Cooked for the first hour around 210*, then pretty steady for 4 hours at 250*. Total cook time 5 hours. They were falling off the bone at this point.
P1000133.JPG

Please use this photo:
P1000134.JPG

Sprinkled with a bit more rub to give some pop, like they do at the Bar-B-Q Shop, cut up and plated for dinner along with some Chicago Hot Links.
P1000138.JPG

P1000141.JPG

Pretty good. Tender and juicy. Good flavor. I got a ways to go to match the Bar-B-Q shop. They didn't have as much bark and and the rub flavor didn't penetrate as much. Probably need to let the rub sit on the ribs longer, since it is low salt. They could also use a little subtle heat....

Sorry, I don't have any cute kids to take a photo of. :wink:

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't planning to play in this sandbox, but I thought it might be good to branch out a bit, so here it goes.... Here are the raw ribs.

IMG_1709.jpg

Just why Chris wants to see a picture of the raw meat I don't know. Yes, I removed the membrane and had my assistant give them a bit of a trim. I seasoned these with Foil Hat Rub (what else were you expecting now, really?). I also sprinkled a bit of parsley and brushed them with olive oil, a bit of honey and some brown sugar. I threw them on the Oval at 275*. It was loaded with Royal Oak and a big chunk of cherry. I goofed off for a few hours and then took this pic.

IMG_1714.jpg

It's much more appetizing than the one of the raw rack I took earlier. I foiled them for a bit as I didn't want them to dry out (dropped the temp also) -- I was waiting for some bread to bake. It's very handy to live in a bakery and have fresh loaves whenever you want:

IMG_1730.jpg

When the bread came out of the oven, I removed the bones from the ribs:

IMG_1731.jpg

I put that picture in because even though they are just rib bones, they are much more appetizing than the raw meat. I then put together a little sammie.

IMG_1741.jpg

I'd never made one of these with spare ribs before. They've always been babybacks. I must admit that even though it was more difficult taking out the bones, it tasted wonderful. The warm bread ecode baked pushed this one over the top.

Sorry about that Ryan! Dang, that looks wonderful. Getting hungry for ribs ... again.

Attached, please find my entry. Waited all week for this.

Trimmed
IMG_9200.JPG

Rubbed with Butt Glitter
IMG_9203.JPG

On the kettle with a chunk of oak and some apple chips. Cooked at between 250 and 270, spraying with cider vinegar and apple juice at hours 3 and 4. I was not going to foil this time. I had all day.

IMG_9209.JPG

Ribs came off after about 5 1/2 hours. Brushed my board with Danny Gaulden's Rib Glaze before application of said glaze.
IMG_9212.JPG

After glazing. This is some interesting stuff. Very sweet. I included hot sauce, butter, bourbon, and a little rub. I'm wondering if using the full amount of cider vinegar in addition to the bourbon might cut some of the sweetness. I ended up adding some ketchup and Stubb's bbq sauce a tablesppon at a time plus additional hot sauce and rub. Definitely want to work with this some more.
IMG_9215.JPG

I would go with this as my entry picture, but some of the pieces look a little funky near the cartilage end.
IMG_9222.JPG

So I choose to go with this one. Dry, so therefore Rib Zero. Plus pig honey.

IMG_9212-1.JPG

Not a problem.
Great photo of the sandwich. Great color from the sauce. :thumb:

Thanks Ryan, but there was no sauce on these (for whatever reason), just olive oil and honey after I rubbed them. My ribs come out that color whether I brush them, sauce them or do just rub them. I chalk it up to the smoke ring.

Hey gore, glad you jumped into this sandbox to play. The rib sammie looks FANTASTIC.:clap2:
rogwadd, those are some good lookin' ribs too. Nice color.

Wow Rogwadd, those are beautiful! I don't know which ones I want more.

Back