Back to being burned out and need ideas

apps... fattys, abts, moinks
cedar planked salmon
shrimp on skewers
pepper stout beef
yogurt marinated chicken (indian/Pakistani style)
wings with orange marmalade sriracha mix
marinated Portobello mushrooms (Asian/southwest/Italian styles)
brined pork chops

As I sit here eating my leftover lamb kebobs I am thinking, Lamb! There are many ways to marinate and cook lamb, kebobs are easy enough to do. I love the stuff. Lots of great ideas here though.

Start doing some baking projects or some dutch oven cooking. try limiting yourself to less than ideal tools for cooking

Dragon Turds

25 - Fresh Jalapenos*
1 lb fresh chorizo (any type of fresh sausage may substitute)
1 lb bacon cut in half

Cut stem and top from jalapeno
Cut slit in side of jalapeno
Deseed
If sensitive to spice remove jalapeno rib
Stuff with chorizo**
Wrap with bacon, secure with toothpick.

Place on smoker grate, cook until done.

from Gary Wiviott

One my favorite pizzas to do as of late is a garlic cheese on whole wheat crust.

I make a thin crust pizza dough ( 2 - 12" )

1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar or honey
3/4 cup 105 degree water
Mix in bowl let set 5 to 10 min until frothy and the yeast comes alive

2 cups Prarrie Gold White Whole Wheat Flour (get at Walmart in our area)
10grams salt
Mix in food processor or stand mixer then add water/yeast mix
then add 2 Tbs olive oil
(if using food processor mix 30 second turn off let set 2min then mix for another min, take out of mixer put in oiled bowl covered let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours till doubled)
(if using stand mixer mix for approx 6 min then remove let rise in covered oiled bowel till doubled 1 1/2 to 2 hours)

While dough is rising roast 6 to 8 bunches of garlic with olive oil poured over the garlic bunches with tops cut off approx 1 hour at 400 degrees. Once garlic is soft and cooled a bit squeeze out cloves add salt and pepper to taste and mash till smooth.

Grate 8 to 12 oz of Asiago cheese

Preheat pizza stone to at least 500 degrees

Once dough ready divide in half and roll out 2 approx 12" pizzas 1/8" thick

Lay each round on parchment paper cover with plastic wrap for another 20 to 30 min

Once rested spread 1/2 the garlic paste on dough then top with 1/2 the cheese, bake on well heated stone for 6 to 7 min.

Enjoy

So for the foreseeable future no more ribs, pork butt, pork loin, chuck roast, brisket etc...the normal bbq staples.

Help me out with what's left.

Cannibalism.

(picture edited for those with delicate sensibilities)

4_zpsbsfrfqbj.jpg

Last edited:
I went to UW for college. A good friend has a cabin on Hood Canal. Been going for over 20 years and eating those oysters!
I'm jealous, sure miss putting those on the grill...waiting for the pop open and dipping in garlic butter!

It's something I took for granted at the time.

Asian Lettuce Wraps

2 LB Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
2 Cloves Finely-Chopped Garlic

Mix above ingredients in a Ziplock Baggie and marinate in the icebox for 1-2 hours.

Then take:
1 Head Iceberg Lettuce
1 Bag Finely Shredded Cabbage
1 Bag Shredded Carrots
Rice Vinegar
Mirin
Hoisin Sauce
Sriracha

Wash and carefully separate iceberg lettuce leaves. Set aside.
Mix cabbage with 1 TBS vinegar and mirin.
Set carrots aside.

Drain chicken and grill over HOT fire until lighted charred around the edges. Allow them to cool enough to handle and then chop them finely (I end up with bits about the size of green peas). Season to taste with Five Spice and Hoisin.

Assemble wraps
Lay a lettuce leaf on a plate. Top with a generous spoonful of chicken. Then dress with slaw and carrots. Add Sriracha (optional). Fold lettuce leaf over (sorta like a taco) and enjoy.

I serve these communal-style where I put all of the ingredients in bowls and let everyone make their own at the table. Sometimes I'll make additional "fixins" (seasoned rice, Asian noodles, sprouts, fresh herbs, etc.)

You're gonna laugh at me, but the best thing I ever cooked was pigs in a blanket in the Weber kettle with some apple chunks. Just hot dogs wrapped in Crescent rolls - I think the bread absorbed the smoke beautifully. And I also second the Scotch eggs! I smoked them instead of frying - add some jelly on the plate and it's off the charts!

You're gonna laugh at me, but the best thing I ever cooked was pigs in a blanket in the Weber kettle with some apple chunks. Just hot dogs wrapped in Crescent rolls - I think the bread absorbed the smoke beautifully. And I also second the Scotch eggs! I smoked them instead of frying - add some jelly on the plate and it's off the charts!
I love doing those!!! I use little smokey sausages. It's been a while so they are going on the list, Thanks! Everything especially bread cooks really good on this fire cooker so that's gonna get eaten soon. I might mix it up and add grilled poblanos to mix.

Back