Back to being burned out and need ideas

Pastrami, bacon, strombolli, smoked nuts, smoked stuffed cabbages, blackened fish or chicken, tandoori flavored chicken or lamb, cheese stuffed meat balls, grilled ratatoullie, grilled cordon bleu, Korean BBQ recipes....I also recently saw a deep dish pizza with a crust made out of meat instead of bread!

I would say look at the BBQ Pit boys recipes, they can give you ideas too.
Just not in the mood for heavier dishes but I'm good with some of that. I'll have to look into the Korean BBQ

I would get some extra large shrimp and smoke/bbQ them until just done. I had some at a bbq cook off that I judged a couple of years ago, and I looked the team up that had cooked them and asked for more. They were some of the best I had ever had. I have cooked some on the Webber before, and they were good, but these were some of the best I had ever eaten. Makes me hungry just typing this. MMM, may have to find me some large shrimp tomorrow and cook some up for the Bride and myself.

Omar

Blackened fish
Shrimp
Scallops
Carne asada
Traditional barbacoa
Al pastor
Grilled peaches

Check out BBQ with Bobby Flay. I have 38 episodes saved on my dvr for exactly this. The guy cooks everything outside. Great for fresh ideas or reinventing old staples. Good stuff.

Grilled shrimp and chimichurri tacos, actually anything grilled is awesome with chimichurri and grilled flour tortillas. Pounded out, pork chops and chicken breast, wings, flank steaks etc.. it's all good.
Smoked salmon/bib lettuce wraps with caper/dill mayo
If you can get some really fresh tuna, grill it super hot, almost touching the coals and leave it raw inside, serve with Asian slaw, wasabi and some ginger/sesame/cilantro soy dipping sauce.

I go through the same thing, I can only eat so many ribs, butt n brisket. I usually go with lighter meals until I start craving the staples again

Learn some cajun dishes. Etouffee, red beans and rice, gumbo, jambalaya, boudin, Shrimp/grillades/chicken and Grits and dirty rice are all great dishes that take some time to master and none of them taste anything like bbq. Not a lot of grill work involved though.

Would the dough crust up fast enough for a calzone in a roti basket? Other ideas not specific to roti include gyros, stir fry, cornish hens, chilaquiles......dang it, now I am hungry!

have you given pizza a try?

That's my current addiction

so many variations to play with

I see you listed veggie pizza, I don't know what that is ;)

bacon is another good one

There is what filipino's call bbq. It is thinly sliced pork butts that are marinaded in soy sauce, onion, garlic, vinegar, and a little bit of coca cola (or any soda for sweetener/tenderizing), salt and pepper to taste, then skewered and cooked directly over coals so you get some char on it. Serve it with some steamed rice and some veggies.

picture taken from this site: http://asianinamericamag.com/2014/05/pork-barbecue-on-the-grill-filipino-style/
IMG_1424-e1400697798900.jpg

Also if you want to try salads here are a few of my go to spring and summer salads. You can add chicken, steak, or any protein to them.

Strawberry salad.
1 bag baby spinach
1/2 cup sliced roasted almonds
1 pint/carton of strawberries sliced
1/2 small red onion sliced very thin
Add goat or feta, amount depends on your taste.

Strawberry vinegarette
2 tbs strawberry jam/preservers
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste.

One that I made this past weekend

Latino Spinach Salad

1 bag spinach salad
3-4 radishes sliced thin
Handful of cripsy fried tortilla strips
Little bit of Pico de gallo
little bit of roast corn and black bean salsa
use salsa verde as dressing

Pico recipe
2 medium tomatos diced
1 medium white onion diced
1 jalapeno diced
1 cup cilantro chopped
juice of 2 limes

Roast corn and black bean salsa
2 ears of corn - roasted/charred and then taken off the cob
1 red pepper diced
1 medium tomato diced
little bit of cumin and oregano
juice of 1 lime

Salsa Verde Recipe
5-6 medium tomatillos - roasted/charred
1-2 jalapenos - roasted charred
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 medium white onion diced
juice of 1 lime

Put tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic into blender and blend until pureed. Pour over diced white onions, squeeze lime juice. salt to taste.

have you given pizza a try?

That's my current addiction

so many variations to play with

I see you listed veggie pizza, I don't know what that is ;)

bacon is another good one
Well they can have meat of course but I just want lots of veggies on them. For what ever reason I'm getting a craving for veggies! Winter/Fall times I have more of a red meat craving.

Learn some cajun dishes. Etouffee, red beans and rice, gumbo, jambalaya, boudin, Shrimp/grillades/chicken and Grits and dirty rice are all great dishes that take some time to master and none of them taste anything like bbq. Not a lot of grill work involved though.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen is my go to cookbook for Cajun. The recipes are complex and decadent and the layers of flavor are too.

Seriously though TX I'm not tired of my cooker because I can grill, smoke, pan cook, disc cook or griddle....and over wood fire so just gotta mix up the menu is all.

Get some bricks.. the regular type bricks with the holes in them. line the inside of your grill with them.. heh (i.e. spread them all along the grates holes upwards)

Get the 50 cent per package of Pilsbury pizza dough mix. Use 2 of these per pizza.

The directions say 1/2 cup hot water per package. Do that plus add in Italian seasonings....little rosemary, basil, oregano.. this makes the crust awesome.

make the dough as directed.

The key to this trick is a wide wooden cutting board, flipped over to use the flat smooth side (vs the side with a drain channel around the edges).

You will want a little bit of cornmeal.. spread a light layer on the cutting board. This is so the pizza slides off it well. Use the board to flatten the dough out.

flatten it as ya like. Then add a thin brushed on layer of olive oil extra virgin.

Then add pizza sauce on top of that.

Chop up all sorts of "pizza fixings".. i.e. mushrooms (gotta have fresh ones), pepperoni, cooked sausage grumbled, cooked hamburger crumbled, bell peppers, onions, anything ya like... and spread it all over that.

Throw on some mozzarella cheese.

Slide that thing onto the tops of the bricks at about 450 and close the lid and 10-15 minutes later ya have an awesome pizza :p

R

Back