THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q*bert

Knows what a fatty is.
I was in Tulsa on business & searched for a BBQ joint downtown. To my surprise there were at least 4 within walking distance from my hotel so I randomly picked Back Alley Blues & BBQ. It's located in the 'Blue Dome District;' a kind of funky bar/restaurant area of town. The place isn't that big, but they have a stage for occasional live music. No one was playing while I was there, but the music went back & forth between Hank Williams style cowboy country & Albert King style blues. Just awesome!
They've got a lot to choose from on the menu besides the standard ribs, brisket, & pork, but that's what I was there to try, so try it I did.

I ordered the 3 meat plate with chopped brisket, burnt ends, & dry rubbed ribs with a side of green apple slaw, & championship baked beans. Sauce is served on the side.

Burnt ends: Smaller 'cubes' than you would find in a turn in box, & very tender. Good, full smokey flavor in the meat, & a very spicy bark. Maybe just a tad too much salt for my taste buds.

Chopped brisket: Mellow smokey flavor, & tender. Rich beefy flavor.

Ribs: These aren't the sweet ribs you're going to turn in at a comp. These are just plain good ole' eatin' ribs. Really smooth smoke, & a dark crusty, yet bite through bark. Fantastic.

Championship Baked Beans: I was pleasantly surprised with these. Sweet. Lots of pulled pork mixed in with the beans. And sweet red peppers mixed in.

Green Apple Slaw: I'll usually order a side of slaw & just take a bite or two, but this was a solid side. Shredded cabbage, & green apples in a apple cider vinegar base.

If you happen to find yourself in Tulsa, OK, I highly recommend a visit.
http://www.backalleytulsa.com/

Attachments

Back