Asian Shrimp Rice Rolls on the Blackstone

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
America's Test Kitchen posted a video yesterday with Asian Spring Rolls. Their version was filled with poached pork and shrimp along with an array of fresh, uncooked veggies. It was a reminder that I hadn't made this in a while and of course, any fillings for mine would be grilled or griddled. So off to the market this morning for ingredients.

I already had shrimp, but my veggies would be carrots, red peppers and summer squash, all cut into matchstick sizes. Out onto the Blackstone they go, with the veggies getting a head start. The shrimp is precooked so it only needs to be seared -

yYd7IAR.jpg

NfMZ83E.jpg

Back inside for the production line. My wife was in charge of moistening the rice wraps, my job was filling them. First, some of each of the carrots, peppers and zucchini -

W8ttkaq.jpg

And then I forgot to take pictures. Roll them tightly, and add a few pieces of shrimp outside the first roll of veggies so it's visible from the outside. Taking a hint from the ATK video, I sliced the shrimp in half down the middle so the rolling went easier. Had I remembered to take pics indoors you would get the idea, but here they are out on the Blackstone. We double wrapped them to ensure they'd stay intact -

NIEeekG.jpg

2LZbNWg.jpg

I used Duck Fat spray which worked out nicely. And here they are after crisping up on the outside -

Wr3Q2sm.jpg

My wife made up an Thai Chili sauce from our Steamy Kitchen cookbook for dipping. Dinner is served -

dY4ertM.jpg

4KZ2S76.jpg

hYJwNkq.jpg

And oh so good! I know I posted these before but I'll be darned if I remember what I filled those with. These were outstanding. With everything cut to matchstick size, the veggies grill up quickly and makes rolling much easier.

You could fill these with any protein you like and any combo of veggies. While at the market I picked up a flank steak with the intent of making some beef, some shrimp. For the two of us, the shrimp ones were sufficient.

They can at first be frustrating to make with keeping the rice paper just moist enough to roll, but once you get the hang of it they go together quickly. These might be fun for guests or kids to help with assembly. They don't even need to be grilled like I did to crisp them.

Anyway, for a somewhat different take on a weeknight dinner, give these a go. Thanks for following along on tonite's Asian dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Those look and sound awesome. If I can come some rice wraps I’m dining them in my flattop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks everyone. After posting this, I looked back at my previous post and realized I hadn't done anything really different other than leave the 16/20 shrimp intact. Doing so worked out much better vs. tiny little pieces as you knew there was shrimp in each roll.

As we were making these Jeanne asked if we were double wrapping like we did last time. I'd totally forgotten that's how we made them (sometimes I think old age is winning the battle) and should have bought two packages of wrappers. Oh well.

Drool and dribble,,,,,
And I’m not the least bit embarrassed,,,,
I where my emotions on my sleeve and a bit of food too,,,LOL

Yup, I could make a meal out of those as well. There was a Thai place not terribly far that had spring rolls we could do just that. Then they changed hands and no more. My Mrs. is pretty good at keeping me straight as well.

Back