Armenian BBQ--just saw this video

Gotcha, I figured as much. I was looking for a trap door, but didn't see any.
Obviously not one in the unit that's buried!
Neat stuff though!

Gotcha, I figured as much. I was looking for a trap door, but didn't see any.
Obviously not one in the unit that's buried!
Neat stuff though!

The one built by the family friend in the previous page has a trap door so that's how he cleans but mostly no. There are also some that will run a pipe down alongside the tonir to the bottom for airflow control like a UDS. Depending what somebody is aiming for.

But the "hole" :becky: concept is a clay or now fire brick underground pit, where you burn down sticks into nice hot bed of coals, once the walls heat up, hang the skewered meat, cover it, wait 20-25 minutes and it's done. End product succulent and moist meat due to the radiant heat.

Thanks for the great followup, Sako! I really want one of those, though the Tandoor we're planning to build should pretty much do the same thing.

I'm guessing the biggest difference between a tandoor/tanir vs a PBC is how quickly the former cooks due to the brick or clay surface creating so much radiant heat. I like the idea of cooking stuff in a really hot cooker!

Thanks for the great followup, Sako! I really want one of those, though the Tandoor we're planning to build should pretty much do the same thing.

I'm guessing the biggest difference between a tandoor/tanir vs a PBC is how quickly the former cooks due to the brick or clay surface creating so much radiant heat. I like the idea of cooking stuff in a really hot cooker!

:thumb:

The tandoor should serve you just fine Richard. I've actually came very close to building a Tonie on numerous occasions but I figured I have a bunch of cookers and that has stopped me. Now this thread comes up. :cool:

Mmm. We have an Armenian place just down the road. Now I know what to do for dinner. A nice lamb lula and Armenian salad.

OK...I gotta get me something like that for the patio. Never saw anything quite like that skewer rack in the first video , but I want it! I bet Paul or Tyler could work that thing out.

1430037240_6e94fb40a2.jpg

Back