Pork Collar roast for pulled pork?

jbounds286

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Josh
recently came across a youtube video where the guy was smoking a pork collar for pulled pork. looked interesting enough for me to want to try it, but all I am finding online are collar roasts for $15+ per pound....anyone ever tried this and found this cut for something reasonable?

recently came across a youtube video where the guy was smoking a pork collar for pulled pork. looked interesting enough for me to want to try it, but all I am finding online are collar roasts for $15+ per pound....anyone ever tried this and found this cut for something reasonable?

I do competitions and since KCBS changed the rules regarding pork, I have wanted to do collars only because they contain the money muscle and plenty of pork if you want to turn in pulled, but the price is outrageous every place I have looked and it's cheaper to buy whole butts on sale and use the top section for my comp and freeze the rest for pulled pork at home.

I was gifted a SRF pork collar years ago.
Felt like I was shorted a half of the butt! :mrgreen:

I bought a couple pork collars.Cooked one to pulled pork temp.It was O.K. I cooked the second one to 185 internal and sliced it.I preferred the sliced one.

Here is the best explanation of how to get $15 a lb for the top of the butt.
https://youtu.be/CHnnOp7X7OY

Thanks. It was an good video. Pork shoulder is great for making pulled pork, carnitas, and other dishes that require long cooking times to break down the meat's tough fibers. I find that park collar has a slightly more delicate flavor. SnapTik

Back