Argentinian Tri-Tip and Chicken on the UDS (w/ pron)

Joe Steel

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Hi Brethren!
This past summer we had a big family vacation down in Puerto Vallarta. One day for lunch, my nephew ordered an Argentinian steak with Chimichurri sauce -- it looked absolutely delicious. Finally, this past weekend, I put myself to the task. I found this recipe on the internet --> Chowhound and decided to give it a go.

At first I was focused on the tri-tip. Then I read about the chicken and decided to do both. And, why not throw in some twice-baked potatoes while I'm at it. All were first time adventures for me.

My daughter had a big group of friends over, and we had a little party. Always good to try out new things on the young-uns -- they're so forgiving.

So, here's how it went:

Recipe from the Chowhound link above for chimichurri sauce and marinade. I made this the day before, so the flavors could meld.

Chimichurri Sauce
• 2 cups packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
• 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
• 1/4 cup packed fresh oregano leaves (or 4 teaspoons dried oregano)
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Put everything (except the olive oil) into the food processor and pulse. Once ingredients are "processed," add in olive oil while pulsing until blended. Place in sealed container and refrigerate.

Marinade put on the tri-tip and chicken before cooking. Since I was doing two tri-tip and one chicken, I doubled the quantities listed below:

• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary leaves
• Juice of 1 medium lemon
• Salt
• Freshly ground black pepper

Chicken (prepared as described on the Chowhound link) with marinade
IMG_5887.jpg

Tri-Tip with marinade
IMG_5889.jpg

UDS loaded up
IMG_5892.jpg

Well into the cook
IMG_5893.jpg

For the twice-baked potatoes, I just sort of winged it. Once the potatoes felt cooked (poked with a fork) I pulled them from the grill. Cut an oval on top and scraped the insides out. Put it in a bowl and added a little half-n-half, cheese and crumbled real bacon bits. Put everything back inside the potatoes, and sprinkled a little more cheese on top.

Finished goods -- I started pulling things from the UDS after about 3.5 hrs at ~250 degrees

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

Here's the whole spread. In addition to the tri-tip, chicken, and twice-baked potatoes, I threw on a couple of zucchini squash. The wife made some beautiful cupcakes and frosting -- all from scratch.

IMG_5902.jpg

My little "starter plate" :grin:. Meat with chimichurri sauce on top

IMG_5903.jpg

I was pretty pleased with how everything turned out.

I added all of the above to my little blog here (pretty much the same as my post)

Thanks for a great site and allowing me to share.

Cheers,
Joe

Next time I get some TriTip, (bit of a novelty here. )
I,m giving it to my Argentinian Next door neighbour and see if he can turn it out as good as that.
He cooks a tough piece and calls it Matambre, not sure what it is but it looks similar

Back