Anyone else do Flat Iron Steak?

Sssshhhhh! don't tell anyone. Just the other day I was having this conversation with the butcher that Flat Iron's are going the way that Flank, then skirts, and then hangers went. It started as a cheap awesome cut of steak, now that everyone is getting turned on to them the price is climbing fast.:doh:

Seriously though, that is a nice lookin' meal you have there.

Sssshhhhh! don't tell anyone. Just the other day I was having this conversation with the butcher that Flat Iron's are going the way that Flank, then skirts, and then hangers went. It started as a cheap awesome cut of steak, now that everyone is getting turned on to them the price is climbing fast.:doh:

Seriously though, that is a nice lookin' meal you have there.

They are easy to find here and quick and easy. We do them over high heat just like any other thick steaks and not as expensive as tri-tip.

Love Flat Irons, tender, a lot of flavor and better priced than similarly good cuts. The last ones I did I just seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked sous vide at 130 degrees for a couple hours then cranked the grill up very hot and seared them off. Sliced them for serving and they were great.

With the price of beef these days, using the sous vide to dial in steaks is awesome. I don't cook steak often enough to be good at cooking them by eye/feel on the grill.

We do them quite a bit. It is budget friendly, lean, tender, and has a great flavor.

The last few we did, we also made a chimchuri and smashed potatoes with it.

I had been thinking the same thing....!!!!!!!! I usually scald it in a skillet and then in oven on a rack for awhile.....I ABSOLUTELY love the taste.....great post!!!!!!!!

Thats a darn good lookin steak Mike! I've never cooked a flat iron steak before but it looks like i should give it a shot! :thumb:

I almost hate to tell anyone about this but Uptown Grocery has them regularly for $6 a pound. Just about my favorite weeknight 1/2# steak dinner for 3 bucks!

Found these pic's. Think it was Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow and Kosher salt.

22kfpu.jpg

nfmfm9.jpg

I'm on the list of Flat Iron fans. Cook it really hot and fast and it can be as tender as filet with the flavor of a ribeye. Here on the East coast the price has skyrocketed over the last couple of years. Used to be able to get them for the cost of skirt or flank, not any more though. Still a great cut that we use all the time.

Back