Any WSM 14.5 owners? Prime rib advice?

noles2g

Knows what a fatty is.
Merry Christmas Brethren!

So I’m at my FIL House and I was tagged in to cook a 3 bone 10 lb roast today.
Equipment - 14.5 WSM
FUEL- grabbed a new bag of cowboy lump at Lowe’s yest (not a fan of KBB)
I’ve cooked these on my 18.5 before and on my KJ just wondering if there are any major differences or any tips to add that might make the cook different.
I planned on taking it out to sit on the counter when I light the fire about 45 mins before the cook. I have cooked these at about 275-300 in the past and seemed to work well. Based on the weight do you think I would have to add fuel? Wondering how long this might take and when to put on as well.
It’s about 45 degrees here this afternoon and mild for a Christmas Day in the NE
A blessing for this Florida boy!
Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• D9855A33-52D7-4D38-B346-1B10B6643344.jpg
    D9855A33-52D7-4D38-B346-1B10B6643344.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Merry Christmas Brethren!

So I’m at my FIL House and I was tagged in to cook a 3 bone 10 lb roast today.
Equipment - 14.5 WSM
FUEL- grabbed a new bag of cowboy lump at Lowe’s yest (not a fan of KBB)
I’ve cooked these on my 18.5 before and on my KJ just wondering if there are any major differences or any tips to add that might make the cook different.
I planned on taking it out to sit on the counter when I light the fire about 45 mins before the cook. I have cooked these at about 275-300 in the past and seemed to work well. Based on the weight do you think I would have to add fuel? Wondering how long this might take and when to put on as well.
It’s about 45 degrees here this afternoon and mild for a Christmas Day in the NE
A blessing for this Florida boy!
Thanks in advance !

At 250, it takes about 30 mins per inch of thickness to go from fridge temp to about 125. Avg PR is about 6 inches tall, so that would be about 3 hours. At 225, it would be about 4 hours.

At 300ish or higher, you'll get somewhat of a "bullseye" effect where there will be a well done band around the perimeter of the PR. At 250 or less, you'll get a consistent edge to edge color.

If you go for the edge to edge, the bark probably won't be as developed, but you could pull the PR a bit earlier than normal, remove the center section, place the grate down and sear over the coals to finish.

Can't comment about the amount of fuel overall other than to say that the ambient temp won't affect cook times. But, the temp would play a part in determining how much lit coal is needed to attain your desired chamber temp, as well as how much total fuel will be needed to maintain that temp for the duration of the cook.

Looks like you did just fine, brother.

Glad to hear you're with family for the Holidays.

Merry Christmas!

The biggest 'issue' I have found with the little 14.5" WSM is airflow when loaded big.

With two big bone-in hams, I can generally work out the puzzle of how to get them 'in' but, often that blocks good airflow so, smoking can be effected. If not overloaded (i.e. like a normally loaded larger model) in my experience, it cooks pretty much the same but, the fuel load and wood chunks can be a bit more tricky to get the deep smokiness flavor profile I like on beef.

Back