Quantity Advice

LloydQ

is One Chatty Farker
Good morning to all!
The Mrs. has volunteered us to cook the meats for her company's Christmas party.
They have decided on turkey beasts and pork loins. The turkeys will be hung on the WSM and the loins will be grilled on the kettles.
I would like to hear opinions on how much to cook. We were told to provide for 80 people, but I doubt it will be that many. Should I figure pounds of pork or count slices? How many breaststroke?
All opinions are appreciated!

There is a lot of value in pork loin... not a lot of waste, cooks in less than 2 hours, and naturally tender. I injected them, and cooked between 275° and 300° until the internal is 140°. If you want to wrap, or finish in covered pans with sauce, cook for about 1-hour, then wrap until you reach 140°.

We used to figure 1/2 pound (raw weight) per person as long as there were side dishes. So 20# of raw weight will feed around 20 people.

KGFdZTF.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I wound up getting 45 lbs of pork and 6 breaststroke. The Mrs. said they were hoping for some leftovers!

The times I have audited the pre-weight vs finished product weights on turkey carcasses the yield ratio was around 33%. I am guessing that the breast (only) yield might be higher. The pork loin ratio yield is around 80-85%. I hope this helps you do you estimates on raw meats needed.

As to autocorrect - a priest, a minister and a rabbit walk in to a bar. The priest and minister are both regulars and when they belly up to the bar the bartender has their drinks waiting for them. Bartender says, "Hey Mr. Rabbit, you're a new customer, what would you like?"

Rabbit replies, "I don't really know what I want. The only reason I am in this bar is because of that damn autocorrect!"

Last edited:
The times I have audited the pre-weight vs finished product weights on turkey carcasses the yield ration was around 33%. I am guessing that the breast (only) yield might be higher. The pork loin ratio yield is around 80-85%. I hope this helps you do you estimates on raw meats needed.

As to autocorrect - a priest, a minister and a rabbit walk in to a bar. The priest and minister are both regulars and when they belly up to the bar the bartender has their drinks waiting for them. Bartender says, "Hey Mr. Rabbit, your a new customer, what would you like?"

Rabbit replies, "I don't really know what I want. The only reason I am in this bar is because of that damn autocorrect!"

That's a funny priest, a minister, and a ribeye joke.

This is off-topic and I apologize ahead of time but it is too funny and I can't resist.

I was an electrical contractor and had to meet a general contractor for a pre-bid site visit. He said we would meet there at 2:00 on Tuesday. I agreed and asked him to send the address. He sent it and I texted back; "I have the address and will see you Tuesday". The damn auto-correct wrote, "I have a red dress and will see you Tuesday" Haha :kiss: I laughed until tears were running down my face. Darn good thing that we worked together for years and enjoyed each other. A new customer may have become a past customer in a hurry. Ya gotta love life!

First batch coming off! Not too bad, IMO!

Attachments

• 20231205_093713.jpg
    20231205_093713.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231205_092805.jpg
    20231205_092805.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 28
Back