Any advice on a new insulated vertical smoker?

allboy

Full Fledged Farker
I have a friend that's almost ready to pull the trigger on a Humphrey's Battle box. He's looking for a insulated vertical to use for competition up here in the NW. I wanted to get some input on other options for the same size, and style of smoker. I personally have read good things about Humphreys. I know shipping up here is $600.00 to the front door on this unit. So what are his other options on a quality smoker to keep his costs around 2K including shipping?

Last edited:
I have no idea of costs, but, I have always wanted a Spicewine cooker from Spicewine Ironworks

Humphreys, Spicewine, Stumps and Backwoods all have good reputations. I just got my Lone Star Grillz and it's awesome. I considered all of these but decided on the LSG for the size to price ratio and the build quality.

I got a Backwoods Chubby with double insulation for about that price if I recall. I had a few other options as well.

I went through a huge comparison of a lot of the vertical insulated smokers in that price range and decided on the Humphreys (Pint). They just had outstanding quality and tons of great references. I talked to a number of people and heard nothing but great things about them. I gave smokinit (here in the Brethren from Northeast Pro BBQ) a call directly and talked with him. He has a good perspective on the Humphreys and other comparable smokers in that space. Lot's of good info. I'd chat w/ him.

I also ordered the humohreys pint. My decision was based on primarily on reputation and cost, but shipping was a major factor also. Originally I was interested in the battle box, but after comparing the amount of meat each would hold, I decided to Move up to the next model. My primary goal is to cook for family and friends, but bbq competitions are not out of the question. Hope this helps.

I don't compete but I would think transporting these heavy beasts would be a concern. How do most transport these?

Thanks for all the input. Sure would be nice to find a local builder to avoid shipping costs.

I don't compete but I would think transporting these heavy beasts would be a concern. How do most transport these?

Thanks for all the input. Sure would be nice to find a local builder to avoid shipping costs.
All of the ones I have seen were crated and shipped via truck, with liftgates.

KAT BBQ Smokers is in Modesto, CA. His shipping might be cheaper, although I have not seen one of his cookers in person, the work he has shown looks great

I have been eyeballing a 270 smoker. They are a relatively new company in the cabinet smoker space and their price point is great. Not sure what shipping would be from Virginia to you though.

Oh, sorry, trailers with ramps, you need ramps. The solo guys use come alongs from what I have seen. The really lucky guys have those trailers with the drop down rears that turn into ramps.

I have a Battle Box that I move in and out of the garage to cook. I will say this, it moves very easily on level ground and concrete with only one person. However, when I brought it home I transported it in my Tahoe and it took 2 of us to unload the beast, they are very well built and have some weight to them.

You can't go wrong with a Battle Box, hope that helps!!

I just ordered the 270 mighty mini. It is double the 600 the OP is looking for. I should have it in 10 days or so.

Back