Another Chicken Question - First KCBS Comp

mbigtoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello Brethren!

I'm doing my first KCBS competition this week at the Bedford Blues and BBQ in TX. I've been practicing chicken and I'm about 50/50 for bite through skin. I scrape the skin until it's transparent. I don't what I'm doing wrong, so any advice would be helpful.

I also saw the last time I went to Costco they had boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I thought about going that route so I don't have to worry about the skin, but I'm worried I would be judged down because it's not there. I know each entry is supposed be judged on its own merit, but I also know that some judges do base their scores on what is not there even though they shouldn't.

Thanks for any advice comments!
Mark

As a judge, I see boneless/skinless thighs about once every 3-4 contests. Generally they do pretty well. I don't judge down because they don't have skin, and if done right it is hard to tell during the Appearance scoring.
I took a 6th place for boneless/skinless thighs a year or two ago.

There will be a judge or two out there that won't like not having skin, but they are supposed to judge as presented and not take their personal likes/dislikes into consideration.

Hello Brethren!

I'm doing my first KCBS competition this week at the Bedford Blues and BBQ in TX. I've been practicing chicken and I'm about 50/50 for bite through skin. I scrape the skin until it's transparent. I don't what I'm doing wrong, so any advice would be helpful.

I also saw the last time I went to Costco they had boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I thought about going that route so I don't have to worry about the skin, but I'm worried I would be judged down because it's not there. I know each entry is supposed be judged on its own merit, but I also know that some judges do base their scores on what is not there even though they shouldn't.

Thanks for any advice comments!
Mark
regardless if they are supposed to or not there will be plenty of judges who will nail you for not having skin.

what temp are you cooking at? What internal temp are you cooking to? It's pretty much impossible not to get bite through skin when you scrape.

I don't think I've ever heard a judge comment that they scored down because an entry was skinless. However, chicken is like a potato - the majority of the flavor is in the skin, so if you take it off you'd better be doing something dramatic to compensate.

What is your team name? We'll be out there this year, too. It is only our 2nd time competing, the first being the same event a year ago.

We're Pitfaced BBQ (VERY basic operation). Hopefully we can meet up and chat!

I'm not experienced enough to give you much input on the question at hand, but I will say that we are sticking with the skin on the thighs and just putting in extra work on the prep, as we've found that the prep work has the biggest impact on how the skin turns out. Not that temp, method, timing, etc. aren't a factor, too, just that prep is especially important.

Your experience may vary.

Thanks all!

I've been cooking at 275 to an internal temp of 165 - 170.

bvbull200 - My team name is Perk's Pit. I'm pretty basic too. Would love to meet up and chat!

Thanks all!

I've been cooking at 275 to an internal temp of 165 - 170.

bvbull200 - My team name is Perk's Pit. I'm pretty basic too. Would love to meet up and chat!

That's not hot enough internal temp and playing with fire on getting nailed for raw chicken from the judges. USDA temp for dark meat chicken is 175. I cook my chicken just like every other category to tenderness versus a temperature. My thighs go well over 180. This is most likely why your skin is hit and miss

I'm not doing People's Choice this year. I just wanted to focus on the four main meats this time around.

That's probably the smart thing to do. We did People's Choice last year and are doing it again this year. It is VERY hectic and a lot of work.

We're only doing it for two reasons:

1) We're trying to get a little traffic for a little side business we're trying to gain traction on.

2) You get preferential treatment when they assign you a location. It isn't a huge deal, but you do end up a little closer to the turn-in spot and the port-a-john, and the ice-man cometh a little more often ;).

We will make something we're happy to put our name on, but we won't really compete with some of the big dogs out there that will prepare some truly amazing, elaborate dishes.

See you out there!

That's not hot enough internal temp and playing with fire on getting nailed for raw chicken from the judges. USDA temp for dark meat chicken is 175. I cook my chicken just like every other category to tenderness versus a temperature. My thighs go well over 180. This is most likely why your skin is hit and miss

I'm not sure about the USDA regs for thigh meat temping at 175 degrees? And cooking dark meat chicken does benefit by cooking to a higher final temp if done right.

Texas-Car-B-Que will be in Bedford. Don't know if I have any secret chicken wisdom for you. But will definitely help in anyway we can....plus offer a cocktail...good luck

most never fill out comment cards for what they score down for.

I'm not talking about comment cards, I'm referring to the conversation around the table after the score cards are turned in. I've been judging for a decade and the "I scored it down because there was no skin" is one I've not heard yet.

Back