American Royal 2017 question

I believe that Sam's held off on setting the finals date until the AR decided which weekend they were going with.

I'm going to say this and run for my life.

I love the new date.

I'm with Brad on this. I usually don't go to a contest on that weekend so I'm not missing anything there.

I just wish the TOY Race would be adjusted to end with the Royal. But that is another can of worms.

I look at BBQ as just the backdrop for an event, as contests aren't the primary reason. Many organizations use a contest as a drawing card for their primary purpose. i.e. raising money for charities etc. and we know that.

The Royal is no different. The Invitational is just a means to build the open and the open is a means to draw fans/patrons/associates to the property for a reason to party and sell catering/party spaces/associated necessities.

When the Open drops back to 300 teams and the rental and concession business falls apart, then and only then will BBQ teams once be a primary concern in the grand scheme of what is known as "The American Royal".

I love the date for a BBQ contest.........We just don't have the luxury in the north east to have contests every week and the ability to pick and choose selectively.

We get roughly 10 contests a year in my region and 3 of those are 5+ hr drives as is. Now I'm not naive enough to think The Royal cares for even one second if they negatively effect a BBQ contest besides their own but it sucks that they picked a heavily populated weekend that will screw a LOT of other contests when they are the ones having all the location and date problems. Don't bone a bunch of other people because your outfit is a mess.

I'll bet the weekend of the jack wasn't even considered because it would hurt THEM.

It is what it is and honesty I am happy because the old date took me out of my treestand for a week and that is more of a crime than any scheduling conflict.

The collateral damage just sucks........especially if they keep shuffling the date in the years to come because then it will be totally unnecessary loss in hindsight.

Having said all that I will be driving 1,000 miles to be there.

I'm with Brad on this. I usually don't go to a contest on that weekend so I'm not missing anything there.

I just wish the TOY Race would be adjusted to end with the Royal. But that is another can of worms.

I look at BBQ as just the backdrop for an event, as contests aren't the primary reason. Many organizations use a contest as a drawing card for their primary purpose. i.e. raising money for charities etc. and we know that.

The Royal is no different. The Invitational is just a means to build the open and the open is a means to draw fans/patrons/associates to the property for a reason to party and sell catering/party spaces/associated necessities.

When the Open drops back to 300 teams and the rental and concession business falls apart, then and only then will BBQ teams once be a primary concern in the grand scheme of what is known as "The American Royal".
^^^^This and what Brad just above it.

Is the weekend they chose ideal? No. Are they going to take a hit on participation from teams, corporate parties and general admission? Most likely. Probably going to take a hit on judges and volunteers as well.
They chose to roll the dice with this weekend. I like this weekend a lot better than the first weekend in November.

This strikes me as the major problem in 'merica today...financial greed...
Corporations only after the almighty dollar to the ruin of the people that create the wealth.
Lets trade a venerable location and constant date in exchange for the ability to have 200 more entrants $$$$$$$$.
Ed

I love the new date.

I don't hate the date, but I do hate the late announcements every year. If KCBS is going to let the Royal stomp on any contest they want, they should at least provide some compensation to those contests that are affected (refund sanctioning fees or something).

I was in favor of moving out of West Bottoms in order to enlarge the opportunities for the public and make this a bigger event than a BBQ contest with some corporate parties. This event should dwarf MIM, but it never will until it has a permanent date and location.

I don't hate the weekend. Personally it makes it very tough to attend.

But its still the American Royal, and its still a Major. Cant win it if you don't compete in it.

I liked the idea of it being in Nov. Essentially the last contest of the season acting as a big family reunion before winter. The way weather has been, Nov 4th is almost as likely to be as nice as Oct 4th. Oct 4th has plenty of potential to be cold and rainy too

I love the new date.

If the banjo music starts getting louder, run faster.

It is what it is. It's a fundraiser, and a big event at this point. Over the years, the concern for cooks has depended on who was on the various committees. The issues surrounding Kemper had been going on for years, and somebody either neded to make a decision or split the sheets. The latter was the choice made. When they have a new home, that won't change annually, they'll hopefully have a consistent date.

Time will tell.

^^^^This and what Brad just above it.

Is the weekend they chose ideal? No. Are they going to take a hit on participation from teams, corporate parties and general admission? Most likely. Probably going to take a hit on judges and volunteers as well.
They chose to roll the dice with this weekend. I like this weekend a lot better than the first weekend in November.

It is, what it is, and it's comp BBQ. I'm glad I was at the last Royal held at Kemper. I have fond memories of the lot, the dark side, the crappy rest rooms, and awards on a stage surrounded by dirt.

Maybe you, and the Bone of Contention, should make a trip north to sort this all out.

I don't hate the date, but I do hate the late announcements every year. If KCBS is going to let the Royal stomp on any contest they want, they should at least provide some compensation to those contests that are affected (refund sanctioning fees or something).

I was in favor of moving out of West Bottoms in order to enlarge the opportunities for the public and make this a bigger event than a BBQ contest with some corporate parties. This event should dwarf MIM, but it never will until it has a permanent date and location.

KCBS can decide to sanction, or not. They can't tell the Royal what date to choose.

For those that are unsure, the Royal is the larger Gorilla.

I actually like the date, strictly from the standpoint that monday is a holiday. Thus a day to recover, clean up the mess, etc. Should be beneficial to traveling teams as well, as one less vacation day to request off to make the trip.

Attendance wise, it may take a hit from the general attendees. I can see that.

Frankly, they can't get to the new venue soon enough and get back to a locked in first weekend of October date. For KC, that's the perfect time of year.

According to the KCBS BoD agenda for last night's meeting, that contest is happening about 30 miles from another event that weekend that KCBS sanctioned back in February. The organizer of the existing contest was to speak at the meeting last night.

I wonder how that worked out...

According to the KCBS BoD agenda for last night's meeting, that contest is happening about 30 miles from another event that weekend that KCBS sanctioned back in February. The organizer of the existing contest was to speak at the meeting last night.

I wonder how that worked out...

I guess we know how that worked out.

I heard a rumor this weekend that even when they build the new AR facility, it wasn't gonna be used for the BBQ contest? Anyone else hear anything like that?

Back