American Royal 2017 question

HORRIBLE weekend for guys from NY. Direct conflict with great local event and weekend after a 2nd year event in need of support but will be a tall order for lots of teams looking at 4-6 he drives there knowing they have 1,000 mile trip to Kansas a few days later.

This sucks.

We only get around 8 contests a year to cook at as it is and now this blows two of them up.

Yep. Just got the email too.

Don't know what to say about the conflicts.

There are not too many BBQ contests - there are too few weekends.

Let's just add some more to the calendar ! Seems like a logical solution to me.

HORRIBLE weekend for guys from NY. Direct conflict with great local event and weekend after a 2nd year event in need of support but will be a tall order for lots of teams looking at 4-6 he drives there knowing they have 1,000 mile trip to Kansas a few days later.

This sucks.

We only get around 8 contests a year to cook at as it is and now this blows two of them up.
You mean the contest that good smoke wins every year?
I bet some happy teams he be at the royal :tongue:

You mean the contest that good smoke wins every year?
I bet some happy teams he be at the royal :tongue:

Looks like no one is winning it.

Cancelled already

First victim of Royal schedule

Last edited:
I'm so incredibly disappointed with this weekend. How many local corporate parties won't attend due to the holiday weekend?

The last three yrs I have cooked for a corporate party. It's a really big event for their top clients, but my contact told me that the date really sucked, he expected a poor response and turn out. That will also reflect on my major money maker that I use for comp money.

Everyone loved the racetrack last year, maybe this is AR's way of making sure it's a flop and not at the track next year?:confused:

The last three yrs I have cooked for a corporate party. It's a really big event for their top clients, but my contact told me that the date really sucked, he expected a poor response and turn out. That will also reflect on my major money maker that I use for comp money.

Everyone loved the racetrack last year, maybe this is AR's way of making sure it's a flop and not at the track next year?:confused:
Unless I am wrong the AR is building a permanent site right near the track. Maybe they had scheduling problems with the track? Perhaps trying to keep it away from being a week off of the Jack?

Unless I am wrong the AR is building a permanent site right near the track. Maybe they had scheduling problems with the track? Perhaps trying to keep it away from being a week off of the Jack?

The week before the Jack is the race, so no way to do it then. After that it's November, and weather becomes a major concern. I don't know why they couldn't do it the traditional first weekend in October though...

Looks like they have a Richard Petty experience that weekend, actually. However, they could move it back to Arrowhead and find a decent weekend too. They feel so disconnected from BBQ and BBQ teams these last couple years. Too bad.

The week before the Jack is the race, so no way to do it then. After that it's November, and weather becomes a major concern. I don't know why they couldn't do it the traditional first weekend in October though...
could be because 10/06 is the Nat Pro, (Sam's) finals?

Back