Am I missing something with comp pork butt?

Well you said low...LOL. 235-250 is where I'm usually at. Hard to keep temps right on the POS smoker I use. This is why Im getting a Shirley!

We switched from a stick-burner to our GF for that exact reason...temperature management. Now I start my fire at 9pm, put meats on at 10:30, and sleep till 4am when I wrap. I go back to bed till 6 when I need to be up again. I am much more fresh on Saturday for turn-ins and decision making because I haven't fought a fire off and on.

We switched from a stick-burner to our GF for that exact reason...temperature management. Now I start my fire at 9pm, put meats on at 10:30, and sleep till 4am when I wrap. I go back to bed till 6 when I need to be up again. I am much more fresh on Saturday for turn-ins and decision making because I haven't fought a fire off and on.

What GF are you guys using? I'm not opposed to getting a GF and especially if it will make it easier to manage things.

Deep South and Southern Q are two of the most popular on the trail these days in Georgia. Both excellent smokers. Of course you will always see a lot of Stumps Smokers anywhere in the country. In my opinion, Assassin is one of the best bangs for the buck and a great GF (that's what I cooked on first). These days I am quite partial to Deep South :-D

What GF are you guys using? I'm not opposed to getting a GF and especially if it will make it easier to manage things.

Deep South GC28. I have had a Lang 84, 3 22 WSMs and a meadow creek. And the Deep south is like your kitchen oven, Set it and forget it. It is also built like a tank. That thing will out last my Grandkids kids.

Why not look at the "Hot and Fast" cooking. Barrels allow you sleep all night. Bubba's great color is coming out Hunzanker Vortex Smoker. I took Bubba's class. I was amazed how like wood was used with the lump. You can see I do have a Lang 84, but I prefer the barrels. Not tending a fire all night long is not the main reason for the switch. I switched for the following reasons.( 1. Color 2. Temp control 3. Time) Yes color! After judging a contest it opened my eyes to the fact that the we judge 1st with our eyes.

Deep South and Southern Q are two of the most popular on the trail these days in Georgia. Both excellent smokers. Of course you will always see a lot of Stumps Smokers anywhere in the country. In my opinion, Assassin is one of the best bangs for the buck and a great GF (that's what I cooked on first). These days I am quite partial to Deep South :-D

In GA on the GBA side you will find mostly Stumps & Assassins. Both are top quality GF

I'm cooking on a Southern Q Limo. We got our first one a year ago, cooked on it for 15 contests last season, and I picked up our new one a few weekends ago when I helped Scott with his Q school.

Why not look at the "Hot and Fast" cooking. Barrels allow you sleep all night. Bubba's great color is coming out Hunzanker Vortex Smoker. I took Bubba's class. I was amazed how like wood was used with the lump. You can see I do have a Lang 84, but I prefer the barrels. Not tending a fire all night long is not the main reason for the switch. I switched for the following reasons.( 1. Color 2. Temp control 3. Time) Yes color! After judging a contest it opened my eyes to the fact that the we judge 1st with our eyes.

I sleep great with my GF! I actually get more, quality sleep now than I did when we cooked hot and fast on my stick burner. We ran in the 300+ range on sticks, but we were up at 4am to start the fire. Now I put meat on at 10:30, wrap at 4, and then I sleep till 6am. That gives me a good 7-7 1/2 hrs of sleep each time we cook.

i have trouble sleeping at comps.....I'm usually so amped up that it's futile for me to try.....I do occasionally nod off for a few naps here and there.......but never do I actually get any real sleep. i'm just too pumped up.

Back