Pork question

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
hey, I have been dabbling again and had some thoughts - or questions. I was watching some butt videos and some new techniques (remember, my moments of glory were before the money muscle craze so we just turned in pulled pork) and saw one team on youtube from Montana, I think, separate the Money Muscle before the butt was fully done, while another video by Soo where he was cooking a boned butt and he was leery of the money muscle falling off because there was only a tiny shred of meat holding it on.
Jogging my memory I remember a discussion on here where y'all were discussing a proposed change in the rules that read something like "pork butt must not be separated until it is "cooked." Since that one video they cooked it until the MM reached 165 THEN separated it and continued to cook BOTH separately, I wondered at what point KCBS specified "cooked" to be if they did.
Or perhaps they were under different rules entirely. Maybe even the videos were produced at different times where the rules were different. Many of you will of course probably assume its cooked at 165 and that would be a given but if we remember our cooking temp chart its Internal Temp PLUS time that determines that; not just temp.
I tried to ask Soo but I got the cut and paste "see my 30 videos to get your black belt in butt" response. LOL

Donnie, I think the 'cooked' definition and temperature was in the Rep advisories, maybe in the FAQ section. But the pork rule has changed again, they have removed the 4# weight clause. So now even a small roast from the money muscle end (I call them a Coppa roast) would be as legal as cooking the entire butt or whole shoulder. Here is how the 2022 rules read:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic, Collar (aka Cellar) and/or Whole Shoulder.

Donnie, I think the 'cooked' definition and temperature was in the Rep advisories, maybe in the FAQ section. But the pork rule has changed again, they have removed the 4# weight clause. So now even a small roast from the money muscle end (I call them a Coppa roast) would be as legal as cooking the entire butt or whole shoulder. Here is how the 2022 rules read:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic, Collar (aka Cellar) and/or Whole Shoulder.

Collar is not neck? Hell why not include a damn tenderloin and let some guys turn in that as damn MM. LOL Joke

This is what I refer to as a Coppa roast. When making sausage or porkstrami, I'll remove this roast specifically for barbecue, or to cure as a little ham.

rSzSzUM.jpg

You can cook them to pullble, but I finish them off around 190°'ish for slicing.

5BCq3gF.jpg

correct. And also, almost everyone that competes may have thought the same thing about the tenderloin..lol.

i bet donna fong could tell though. LOL MM versus tenderloin.

"oh whats that? just a snack for us - pay no attention.

reminds me of getting drunk. Taylor maybe? i wasn't watching my team and turned in the brisket which had been injected with the drippings of the previous brisket. Injections had not even been addressed in those days. We didn't know if we violated anything so we shut our mouth and got a walk

This is what I refer to as a Coppa roast. When making sausage or porkstrami, I'll remove this roast specifically for barbecue, or to cure as a little ham.

rSzSzUM.jpg

You can cook them to pullble, but I finish them off around 190°'ish for slicing.

5BCq3gF.jpg

i have envied your rings for 20 years now

Separating the copa from the butt is as popular as separating the point from the flat on a brisket, all after its “cooked” then finish it.

Back