Air Fryer?

Plata-O-Plomo

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Martin
I loved fried food but tend not to eat it very much because of the "fry". I have been thinking about the air fryer so I can at least experience some of what I like.

Does anyone have any good insight as to if they (the air fryer) is worth purchasing and if so maybe a recommendation on a unit. I would like a fairly large one if I proceed.

Thanks in advance for reading this and comments you may have.

POP

After a couple years of eyeing it, we finally bit the bullet and bought the Breville Smart Oven Air a few months ago.

Yes it’s pricey compared to standalone air fryers. But holy crap it’s been the best money we’ve spent this year by far. We make probably 99% of the food we eat ourselves and we both work from home. So we’ve been using the Breville at virtually every meal, even when I’m BBQing. It’s definitely big, but we replaced our microwave with it. It comes with 1 airfry/dehydration basket, but you can buy additional baskets. The Smart Oven Air will hold up to 4 of them at a time.

It will bake, toast, broil, roast, proof, air fry, dehydrate, reheat, and keep stuff warm, and it does it all well. Very easy to use. We’ve only turned on our regular oven once or twice in the 4 months since we got the Smart Oven Air. Previously we’d be using the oven several times a week by this time in the fall. This Breville does so much more than a regular oven though. I love it for reheating leftovers, as it leaves stuf with a nice baked or crispy texture, as opposed to the soggy grossness of a microwave. And it doesn’t heat up the whole house like a full size oven. No, I don’t work for Breville, but I can’t recommend this thing highly enough.

Set a camelcamelcamel alert for it and get one the next time it’s on sale. Btw, when amazon puts it on sale, the others seem to follow suit. We actually got ours from Crate and Barrel since they had it for the same $320 when Amazon did, and we had a C&B gift card.

Get one!

We also considered the Cuisinart TOA-60 as a cheaper alternative. Can’t promise it’s as awesome as the Breville, but it has good reviews. I have no regrets at all about spending the extra for the Breville though, and we’re certainly not rolling in money here.

Last edited:
I loved fried food but tend not to eat it very much because of the "fry". I have been thinking about the air fryer so I can at least experience some of what I like.

Does anyone have any good insight as to if they (the air fryer) is worth purchasing and if so maybe a recommendation on a unit. I would like a fairly large one if I proceed.

Thanks in advance for reading this and comments you may have.

POP

I have a 5.8 qt Insignia air fryer. Got it on eBay for $40. Absolutely love it. Chicken wings are amazing out of it and just like they were fried. Use it for plenty of items. If my wife would let me, I’d replace it with the Breville discussed above, but my wife doesn’t it want it taking up the counter space. Buy one, you won’t regret it.

The Breville line is, IMO, the best available these days. I have their espresso machine and a taster and love both of them. Well designed and built.

I have a smallish Philips and the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker/air fryer combo. Both work well but the Foodi is my favorite for the versatility and the quality of the food.

One caution: even through they are called air fryers, there is no frying going on :-D they are really just convection ovens. The food is good and can get crispy, but it is not the same as deep fat frying.

Excellent comments, thank you. That Breville Smart Oven looks like a beast! I need to take a look at that one for sure.

Thank you again!

POP

Oh, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention...before anyone gets rid of their microwave for a Smart Oven, we have come across a few things that make us miss the microwave, particularly in the last week or so now that the weather is getting colder.

The Breville can't reheat bowls of soup or cups of coffee/tea like a microwave does with ease.

Also, if you find yourself needing to reheat things in a big hurry, it's not as fast a microwave. I'd still recommend having both the Smart Oven Air and a small microwave on hand if you have the space.

I recently bought an Instant Vortex. It has served me well and I am really happy it has the rotisserie option with a basket. It is great for making "fries" so you dont have to be worried about flipping them. It is a smaller sized one so probably not what you are really looking for. I am limited on counter space so it was perfect for me.

Instant has since launched a larger toaster oven sized model called the Omni that might fit your needs.

Back