Advice On Repairing Weber Kettle Lid Support

kevinc

Knows what a fatty is.
The lid support on my old style Weber Platinum has broken. There are two issues:

One of the nuts holding the lid wire to the kettle rusted off
The bolt attaching the lid bale to the kettle appears to have sheared off (item #11 in the schematic)

The second item is whats giving me trouble. Since the bolt itself appears to have been sheared, I'm not sure how to get it out. The nut & washer is still secured to the remainder of the bolt inside the kettle and its pretty rusted / deformed (it looks pointed, wtf?).

In the attached photos, the first picture is a close of of the nut & washer on the bolt. The second photo is from slightly further away. The third pic is a pic of the outside of the kettle where the bolt sheared off.

First, any thoughts on getting that rusted bolt assembly out of the kettle? I tried greasing it with WD-40 and turning it with every socket wrench I had but nothing worked. As I mentioned above, the tip of the bolt/nut seems deformed/pointed so I couldn't really even find purchase with a wrench

Second, the lid wire itself was originally secured with Keps nuts (according to the schematic linked above). Do I need to keep using those or can I replace it with a regular nut and flat washer?

Finally, any thoughts on the material itself for the hardware? Is regular galvanized OK or does it need to be a something different to withstand the environment of the grill?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 178
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 179
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 178
For the 2nd item the bolt isn't threaded into the bowl so it is just rusted into the hole. Take a punch and knock it out of the hole. I would use stainless but any bolt would work.

For the 2nd item the bolt isn't threaded into the bowl so it is just rusted into the hole. Take a punch and knock it out of the hole. I would use stainless but any bolt would work.

This looks to be the case.......

Spend a little time cleaning off the rust after you tap it out or the same thing may happen more quickly.....Keps nut is for a reason, so it doesn't wiggle loose from use & stainless might be best / last longest....

Nice Cooker....keep it runnin' !!!!

Looks to me like you could put a drift punch on that bolt and give it a good bash with a proper sized hammer, it should pop free. Then replace with SS hardware

That did it, thanks! Didn't take much effort either, I could have sneezed and the thing would have came right out :)

I gave myself a dope slap for not thinking of that.

This looks to be the case.......

Spend a little time cleaning off the rust after you tap it out or the same thing may happen more quickly.....Keps nut is for a reason, so it doesn't wiggle loose from use & stainless might be best / last longest....

Nice Cooker....keep it runnin' !!!!

Would some WD40 do the trick to clean up the rust?

WRT the Keps nut, how does it work different than a regular flat washer and nut?

I don't think i would use WD-40. That is a petroleum product and could cause off flavors. Try CLR and some fine sand paper.

Back in Black!

I went to Ace yesterday and picked up hardware I needed in stainless steel. I also picked up some CLR and black Rustoleum high heat spray paint.

I scrubbed the area with CLR and some fine steel wool, dried it off and then hit it with a shot of the Rustoleum.

I attached the new hardware and now I'm back in business.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• fixed.jpg
    fixed.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 33
Back