THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
Hi there,

I'm going to cook my first Wagyu brisket this weekend. Any tips? I've heard they cook faster than regular lower grade briskets? It's not the most marbled Wagyu, it's Australian 12 pounder packer's cut and AACO graded AA 3-5. You can find pics of the marbling grades from this pdf chart

Here's also a few pics of the raw product:

Normally I cook briskets HnF at around 300, wrap at four hours and let it ride till probe tender. My biggest problem with briskets is still knowing when they are just about perfect.

I'm going to keep it simple, salt, pepper, maybe onion and garlic powder. No injections. Still not sure if I'm going to cook it on my BGE or stick burner, probably stick burner...

Looks like a very nice brisket, but all the usual brisket principals are in play. Its not done until its done.

I normally cook Wagyu for all of my cooks. They will cook faster due to the excellent marbling. With Choice, I go 1.5 hours per pound @ 225. With Wagyu, its 1 pound per hour @ 225 (this will fluctuate a bit due to fat content). Smoke on my friend and enjoy it!

Thanks,

I was thinking of dropping my cook temps a bit to get more smoke and flavour before wrapping if they cook faster... Maybe I'll ride this one out at 275.

Nice looking brisket. I've never done a wagyu brisket but my experience has been that the higher quality briskets are probe tender at a lower temp then lower quality briskets. So I'd start probing it at about 185 or 190.

Do you taste a difference :p ?

I just watched the last episode of Smoked, did they really wrap their Wagyu briskets after only two hours? And seems like they pulled them at four hours, seems pretty fast to me...

But then again, their briskets and mine are probably worlds apart in quality :roll:

Do it the way you do it. Your times and temps sound good. Don't be like me and over think this.

Well, now it's done. Kinda messed it up.

I cooked it at around 300 F, but foiled only after five hours. It took about seven hours, but when I was slicing it, I found out it was not done.

Threw it in the oven for at least 1.5 hours more. In my case it cooked slower than regular brisket, I had one packer also on and it got done in 6 hours.

Also with that regular brisket, I had slices that were overcooked on one end, pretty good on the center and very undercooked on the other end. Is that normal? Would longer rest times help with uneven doneness? I only rested these for about an hour on the counter wrapped...

Back