THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

enimalx

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
So.... this is what I bought:

WtJ8G64.jpg

This is the flame on high:

GwCH6Yf.jpg

And this is my first attempt at increasing the air intake:

1RYAUPt.jpg

It's such a PITA to drill even with a titanium drill bit, which quickly became dull after the first hole, hence my giving up on the second hole until I file the drill bit...

So I was wondering if I could just drill some holes into the aluminum tubing? Would it be too far from the air intake, and hence would act as a gas guzzler, instead of an air intake? Thoughts?

I think that air intake is fixed and measured. I would look for buildup in the burner holes. Is your regulator adjustable? Could be a fuel restriction.

A yellow flame is lack of oxygen.

On mine there was a collar over the mesh that rotates to adjust the air intake.

Also note that a common issue with propane burners are spider nests. They get inside and build nests that restrict airflow. Use a shishkabob stick to clean inside the tube and near the valve...

The flame was like that since the day I bought it, which was a couple weeks ago, so no spider nests or anything like that in the burner. I also have no weak flame, so regulator seems fine too.

I think I just answered my own question with this image:

venturi.gif

The larger diameter of the aluminum tube seems to act as an area of expansion for the mixture of gas/air compressed in the venturi tube. So it seems that I will have to drill in the stainless steel part after all. I'll post some pictures when I'm done :thumb:

The flame was like that since the day I bought it, which was a couple weeks ago, so no spider nests or anything like that in the burner. I also have no weak flame, so regulator seems fine too.

I think I just answered my own question with this image:

venturi.gif

The larger diameter of the aluminum tube seems to act as an area of expansion for the mixture of gas/air compressed in the venturi tube. So it seems that I will have to drill in the stainless steel part after all. I'll post some images when I'm done :thumb:

That is indeed a biggie.

Good Luck

Back