Aaron Franklin smoker

Makes sense. Did 20 Pork butts on an off-set trailer for the first time last May and it definitely ate more fuel to keep temps up. Almost lost a nut watching the pit dip down to 130 when we put the butts on....live and learn.

Makes sense. Did 20 Pork butts on an off-set trailer for the first time last May and it definitely ate more fuel to keep temps up. Almost lost a nut watching the pit dip down to 130 when we put the butts on....live and learn.

I know exactly what you mean.:loco: I also use oven temp gauges that I place on the grates and those are what I go by, not the pit gauges. At least until the pit comes all the way back to temp. You'll sometimes find quite a disparity in the two and they do help preventing a stroke when the temps drop after you put the meat on..:mrgreen:

You don't pay retail when you buy cases a day.

Agreed, but if a single brisket costs $120 retail then by the case might be $60 if you're lucky. That's still might be too pricey for a briskly to do well in business. That being said, Franklin did say he buys a better grade of beef and doesn't pass on to the customer.

Could swear I read somewhere that he uses high grade CAB briskets because he can't consistently get primes. Also thought he was paying $3-$4 per pound. Just can't remember where I saw that.

Don't know. I've been getting choice IBP packers for under $3/lb and if I go to RD its mid to low $2/lb. Since he's in the business you know he has a good source for at least that and maybe a better cut for around te same price. Id like to know where.

from http://www.tmbbq.com/bbq-anatomy-101-know-your-brisket/

"Prime Angus would also be the choice of Aaron Franklin, of Franklin Barbecue, in Austin, but it’s hard to get a consistent supply to fill his many smokers so he uses Upper Choice Angus beef. The meat is hormone- and- antibiotic-free and certified natural and humane, and Franklin claims that this contributes to better fat quality in the meat. Even buying this at Choice, this product can be more expensive, so bumping up to Prime would likely prove too costly anyway. But sometimes Franklin can’t even get the Choice stuff. Earlier this year his supplier had some weather-related delivery issues, and Franklin was forced to use Select briskets for several days. Because of their lower fat content he was worried about them drying out, so he wrapped the meat early and to try to keep them as moist as he could. Of course that was the week a critic came through and said the brisket was the consistency of “Sunday dinner-table chuck.” Franklin agrees. “I was happy to put that week behind me,” he told me with a sigh.

Franklin wouldn’t share his beef cost, but I learned from Local Yocal meat market in McKinney that they charge about $4.15 per pound for a similar Angus brisket to their wholesale customers. Tim Hutchins, of Hutchins BBQ in McKinney, is one of those customers."

Franklin has moved his price up to $19/lb. He could be paying between $3-$4/lb wholesale and making good profit with the amount of meat he sells a day.

Franklin has moved his price up to $19/lb. He could be paying between $3-$4/lb wholesale and making good profit with the amount of meat he sells a day.

$19/lb? Oooouch! :heh: I'd never pay that much for Q, even if it's the best.. Think I'll stick to making my own. :biggrin1:

Back