A new way of cook grate fried chicken for me: Step by Step-Sort of

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
The reason I said sort of is because I didn't take pictures of every step, but I'll still list all the steps.

Ok I had chicken breast to use up and I hate to do things the same way time after time...gets old ya know? It's always good but it's nice to mix things up some.

I've done lots of different "Fried chicken" on the cookers but largely it's been on the rotisserie. I haven't done chicken breast this way or grate cooked this way. One thing I like about doing it with the rotisserie is because of the rotation the breading doesn't burn up black waiting for the meat to get done...breading will always tend to burn.

Ok this is about is simple as it gets but maybe it can inspire someone. Chicken breast was not brined either. Here's the steps and my logic behind each step. I realize not everyone cooks over an open fire but charcoal can be substituted of course.

1) Season the chicken FIRST, it gets way way more flavor rather than mixing seasoning in the flour. This round was a coating of Fiorina's Jack Stack All Purpose, and a little Wild Thang (savory peppery rub)

2) Next of course is a coating of flour followed by dipping or pouring egg wash over that, then bread crumbs...Panko is my preference.

Now for the cook. The cook I used my 007 setup which cooks over a open split fire but this can be substituted for charcoal (I'd use lump) preferably.

3) At 400* pretty much rock solid it cooked directly over the fire (raised direct) In my cooker it's about 4" over the top of the drum. When each side after flipping gets the crisp exterior and color you want put some sort of pan below the grate you cook on and switch to indirect the rest of the way. For me I have this hanging basket under my cook grate.

Take the chicken to about 160* and pull...simple as that. Juicy beyond imagination for sure, it's not hard to get juicy chicken and IMO easier at the higher temps like this cook which was at 400*

Like I said it's simple and definitely not rocket science but I hope it inspires someone because this was REALLY good!! :smile:

Here's with the panko breading after the seasoning, flour and egg wash.

This is after the first flip

Now it's done showing both sides...both sides are nice and crisp

Now finally the sliced and plated. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks great! I did something similar except I used mayo as a binder for the panko. Didn't use flour, either. Temps were not as high as yours (need to change that).

Looks great! I love chicken. Is that Mexican rice on the side?
Thanks! No Kathi it was vermicelli and rice w/ diced tomatoes. It does have the look of Mex rice though...I'm sure it would be good fried up in a skillet or on a griddle which is what I might do with any leftover.

Just so people know, you don't need to be scared of splits.
These are rotisseried turkey thighs on my kettle, about 12-14 inches from the flames at the spit. A half dozen Kingsford coals, with cherry splits added every 30 minutes or so.
Turkey%20thighs_zpsabgn2ely.jpg

There was no charring, much less burning.

Last edited:
Looks great! I did something similar except I used mayo as a binder for the panko. Didn't use flour, either. Temps were not as high as yours (need to change that).

Thanks Robert, I'm sure the breading could have tolerated hotter (definitely in the roti) but 400* raised direct til it was time to go indirect worked out to be a good temp zone. Most definitely I wouldn't go direct the whole time...it was probably 60% direct and 40% indirect.

Yea I've done it lots of different ways as well, Never with mayo for the binder. This time I wanted to go with more of the traditional breading methods and can't go wrong w/ egg wash for sure.

Not everyone has the same type of grills but as long as someone finds the right distance for raised direct this should work will...but definitely have the ability to switch to giving the breading some shade.

That is really cool, I got to follow your stuff and try these, thanks for sharing, been looking to try breaded chicken or turkey on the fire.

That is really cool, I got to follow your stuff and try these, thanks for sharing, been looking to try breaded chicken or turkey on the fire.

Thanks larred, You are the master of the open fire and have no doubt it'll be fantastic!

Looks great!
I've always done breaded breast or drum sticks on a frying pan. Never tried grill. Never used open fire for that matter.
Will definitely give it a go this weekend!

Thanks for the post, Keith. Sort of sorry to hear that the breading can't take it direct on the grate the whole time, but it's good to know (and good to see!) that it still came out very juicy even without the advantage of the fullest radiance for the entire cook.

Consider this stolen:grin:
Ha! LOL. Paul could I picture the jimmy with some lump and using the bottom grate to put a pan on when you switch to indirect?

Thanks for the post, Keith. Sort of sorry to hear that the breading can't take it direct on the grate the whole time, but it's good to know (and good to see!) that it still came out very juicy even without the advantage of the fullest radiance for the entire cook.
Thanks, Yea direct searing energy seems to really toast up breading pretty quick....well just like a toaster does to bread. If I would to guess it spent about 20 minutes finishing indirect.

Back