A few questions about butcher paper

smokemonster

Knows what a fatty is.
So I just called the butcher and placed an order for a brisket to cook this coming weekend. I've never tried wrapping in butcher paper before, but would like to give it a try. Is there a certain type I need to use, and if so where would I buy it from? Also, I've seen pictures with people taping the paper closed. Is there a special kind heat resistant tape I would have to use? Last but not least, is there a certain internal temp I need to get to before wrapping, or do I just wrap it once I'm satisfied with the bark and the overall look of the brisket? Thanks in advance!

So long as it's uncoated/unwaxed paper. Try a butcher supply shop or various sources online. I got mine at a butcher supply shop but others can tell you where to order online. You don't need tape, just fold the ends under the brisket. Wrap between 4-5 hours into the cook. I would also suggest that you make sure the brisket gets wrapped in only 1 layer of paper any more and you might get the "foil effect".

I've seen this at Sams and I'm temped every time I see it. Has anyone used this brand from Sams?

0060279300234_A_zpseb324e0b.jpeg

If you can't find butcher paper, I'm told parchment works in much the came way. Not waxed paper!! The silicone impregnated PARCHMENT paper in the baking aisle.
I'm also told you can use good old fashioned brown paper grocery bags.

If you are going to order bp, I suggest at least 24" wide and 36" even better. I have 24" and it could be bigger for the big briskets. POS Papers is a good place to order.

So I just called the butcher and placed an order for a brisket to cook this coming weekend. I've never tried wrapping in butcher paper before, but would like to give it a try. Is there a certain type I need to use, and if so where would I buy it from? Also, I've seen pictures with people taping the paper closed. Is there a special kind heat resistant tape I would have to use? Last but not least, is there a certain internal temp I need to get to before wrapping, or do I just wrap it once I'm satisfied with the bark and the overall look of the brisket? Thanks in advance!
Ask the butcher for some paper at the price your paying for that brisket I think hell give up some paper.
Regular old Brown masking tape is what I have used I try to end up with the flap on the bottom so I don't need it but depending on how many Shinners's and Cuervo I have had I sometimes require some tape:redface:
I cook at 300 deg I wrap after 4 hrs and cook until probe tender! Internal temps Should be called INFERNAL Temps because they lie. If you want to get it right every time cook to probe tender and forget about temps.

I cook until the color of the brisket is just a little lighter than I want to finish with. Somewhere around a mahogany color is good. I use un-coated white paper. I do not like the brown bag thing, as I have gotten off flavors from grocery bags before.

I don't cook to an internal temperature except to approximate when to probe. I can actually do a lot of it by feel, if I lift a packer and feel it bend when lifted, then I know to start probing.

Really ? Is that right ? Being a devout recycler (or "cheapskate " as my kids like to call it ) , that would appeal to me.:-D
It is not right, I have a friend who swears by using grocery bags for cooking Prime Rib, and even with that short of a cook, the roasts often had an off taste of paper bag.

It is not right, I have a friend who swears by using grocery bags for cooking Prime Rib, and even with that short of a cook, the roasts often had an off taste of paper bag.

Sorry for the misinformation. I'd been told about the bag thing, but hadn't tried it myself.

No apology is required, we all have different taste sensitivities. I am posting my opinion, others might vary or disagree.

I always ask the butcher and he gladly gives me as much as I want. But I befriended my butcher long ago so I get away with more...

My Thoughts on Butcher Paper and its relation to great brisket, well, that is, if you can make a decent bark, which only 17 of us can in this forum.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83YkmXJCX0"]Teen Steam - YouTube[/ame]

Of course she is thirty something now

I've only used the red it works for what I need it for brisket, butts, ribs you don't need tape but I've used gummed paper tape before. Also spraying lightly with cooking oil will make the paper more pliable, or just wrap it tighter. I wrap after I get my color(1.5Hr fat up flip for 1.5Hr) then wrap and go for another 1.5Hr-2Hrs, I use a toothpick to check for tenderness(try to pull a little before you get a warm knife through butter *200-*210) you gotta push through paper into the center of the flat, aim, close your eyes and shoot. I like cooking at 325* done in around 5 hours then a long hold(4Hr pre warmed cooler/cambro a warmer/proofing box would be best) and rest(150*Temp)slice and eat. I don't think I have a problem achieving bark using the method of madness I just spoke of, and dirty dalmatian (THx PitmasterT salt+pepper+lemon pepper)rub is all you need on so many meats. Happy smoking brotha, use it like foil, plates, table cover, wrap your Christmas presents with it!

20120929_212025.jpg

20120929_212443.jpg

This just fell off, shucks someones gotta eat it
20120929_212452.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999

I'm also told you can use good old fashioned brown paper grocery bags.

I use grocery bags and do not notice any off putting taste. They work fantastically.

It should be noted that I cut off the bottom where the glue is and the front where the ink is. Grocery bags are essentially untreated kraft paper which is a simple groundwood paper. It is very similar to butcher paper.

Abig brown grocery bag you can buy them at Sam's they cheap and easy, one of those bag will hold most cuts of meat

I've only used the red it works for what I need it for brisket, butts, ribs you don't need tape but I've used gummed paper tape before. Also spraying lightly with cooking oil will make the paper more pliable, or just wrap it tighter. I wrap after I get my color(1.5Hr fat up flip for 1.5Hr) then wrap and go for another 1.5Hr-2Hrs, I use a toothpick to check for tenderness(try to pull a little before you get a warm knife through butter *200-*210) you gotta push through paper into the center of the flat, aim, close your eyes and shoot. I like cooking at 325* done in around 5 hours then a long hold(4Hr pre warmed cooler/cambro a warmer/proofing box would be best) and rest(150*Temp)slice and eat. I don't think I have a problem achieving bark using the method of madness I just spoke of, and dirty dalmatian (THx PitmasterT salt+pepper+lemon pepper)rub is all you need on so many meats. Happy smoking brotha, use it like foil, plates, table cover, wrap your Christmas presents with it!

20120929_212025.jpg

20120929_212443.jpg

This just fell off, shucks someones gotta eat it
20120929_212452.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999

Ur Meat is floppy man!!!!!!!

I love the brisket hanging like curtains, there is nothing better than some floppy ole meat curtains dripping the funk onto your goatee as they pas over your mouth!

As far as problems with butcher paper, there is one.... animals getting in the trash! Normally, if its meat in the trash can they take it off or hide it. I have had critters (cats, dogs) get into the trash and there are little bits of paper ALL over the place.

I use grocery bags and do not notice any off putting taste. They work fantastically.

It should be noted that I cut off the bottom where the glue is and the front where the ink is. Grocery bags are essentially untreated kraft paper which is a simple groundwood paper. It is very similar to butcher paper.
Hmm, maybe there is the difference, the bags out here are all recycled paper. There is a definite stink to them.

Back