A Comparison of Lamb

NoOne

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
NoOne
So I recently made my first order to Wild Fork Foods and I picked up a rack of lamb to try the quality. We got it out to cook and I knew it just wasn’t going to be enough so we went to Sam’s and picked up another rack. I thought this would be a good opportunity to do a compare and contrast... here goes.

To start, both are grass fed, WFF is from Australia and costs $16.50 per lb and the SC rack is $10 per lb and from New Zealand.

s6QJvzY.jpg

On first inspection it looks like the SC rack is 1/2 a pound heavier and I’m thinking I’ll need to trim some fat. But I was surprised to see 2 racks come out of the SC package. (WFF on the left and SC on the right)

HTLvQ2u.jpg

Not a lot of trimming to do, the SC racks are smaller and they don’t have much of the fat cap left on.

M2PsIEG.jpg

While the WFF are better frenched with cleaner butchering, more fat was left on the bones.

S1E0MrJ.jpg

Preparation was equal with a light slather of Stadium Mustard with fresh rosemary salt sprinkled on. The Brethren in Ohio know about Stadium Mustard, not only is it amazing, it’s also one of the best values you can order on Amazon. And it goes great with Lamb.

KCsa833.jpg

On to the copper Weber, indirect at 350F. It has been a while since I used the kettle, it is dusty, but will get a bath tomorrow.

8VZF6Nn.jpg

aejy7Eq.jpg

oFkVhJh.jpg

All three racks were pulled at the same time at 135F internal, rested for 10 minutes and then sliced into Lamb pops. First picture is SC, 2nd is WFF.

4pDWbrn.jpg

QCcunht.jpg

Both cooked well and were perfect on the plate. We served with a Garlic, Lemon, Rosemary vinaigrette sauce, some home fried potatoes and brussel sprouts.

cWx4wcY.jpg

The verdict...

WFF was juicier and a bit more flavorful, the fat cap got crusty and was soooo good. SC was just as tender but missed the fat both for flavor of the meat and the crust. Overall though, both were outstanding, WFF was the clear winner but is it worth $6.50 per lb more????

We decided if we were going to do something special for ourselves, WFF will get the order. For everyday cooking, large parties or guests that don’t get the good Bourbon the SC racks will be just as welcome.

Thanks for reading.

great post, lamb looks perfectly treated
when we go wandering the lamb can taste different with a few hundred klm .
saltbush would have to be my favourite, middle of South Aust.
That mustard looks interesting

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Being a new fan of lamb chops, I will have to look for that package at our Sams.

Thank you for the post great comparison, and I will order the mustard.
Lamb from New Zealand and lamb from Argentina are usually the wool producing breeds. Where lamb from Colorado is more meat producing. Since the Colorado lamb is predominantly for meat, it is corn fed, and slaughtered earlier. The Colorado lamb will have a less “wild”, flavor. I have not been able to get Colorado lamb at Sam’s or Costco. When I want lamb I usually go to my local butcher.

Dang that looks fine! Nice to know about the Wild Fork as I use them a fair amount.

Grilling up a couple racks of Meijer New Zealand tomorrow. I find the Meijer racks better quality meat than Costco's. Will get some stadium Mustard to try that.

Last edited:
That was cooked perfectly. What is your opinion of domestic lamb?

I've located a new supplier (I think), but have yet to make a purchase. This bundle ($115) seems like a good choice, and a pack of the kabobs could be ground for small batch sausage or meatballs if I ever grew tired of the skewers. :mrgreen:

https://eatwyoming.com/product/lamb-bundle-2/

I need to do some investigation because the Mountain States Rosen plant in Greeley was sold, and yet this loin roast ($32) has a label that clearly says packaged in Greeley when you mouse over it.

https://eatwyoming.com/product/lamb-guys-ez-cut-loins/

I like North American lamb a lot. Bundles like that, though all depend on the skill of the butcher. There are a lot of guys out there processing meat that should not be, but there are still not enough. Local farmers have trouble finding processors.

I like North American lamb a lot. Bundles like that, though all depend on the skill of the butcher. There are a lot of guys out there processing meat that should not be, but there are still not enough. Local farmers have trouble finding processors.

If a meat cutters favorite blade is a box cutter.... you know you're in trouble.

Some of the best looking lamb I've seen on the forum! Looks delicious No1!

great post, lamb looks perfectly treated
when we go wandering the lamb can taste different with a few hundred klm .
saltbush would have to be my favourite, middle of South Aust.
That mustard looks interesting

Thanks Titch - agree, SA and Tazzy lamb were some of our favs.

If you want some I’ll send you some of the mustard.

Thank you for the post great comparison, and I will order the mustard.
Lamb from New Zealand and lamb from Argentina are usually the wool producing breeds. Where lamb from Colorado is more meat producing. Since the Colorado lamb is predominantly for meat, it is corn fed, and slaughtered earlier. The Colorado lamb will have a less “wild”, flavor. I have not been able to get Colorado lamb at Sam’s or Costco. When I want lamb I usually go to my local butcher.

Thanks kfdvm,

I’m a Colorado native and live in the northern part of the front range and CO is lamb great. But I also have just returned from living in Australia for the last 3 years and I have to say (Titch can back me up) that AUS and NZ lamb is “far” superior to US lamb. I work in the Ag industry and I can honestly say I don’t know what the real difference is other than it is a primary staple in Australia where it is a specialty in the US market.

Now Pork on the other hand is the exact opposite. Pork in AUS is very low quality if you came from the US. It is give or take, they do lamb better and we do pork... and beef better.

That was cooked perfectly. What is your opinion of domestic lamb?

I've located a new supplier (I think), but have yet to make a purchase. This bundle ($115) seems like a good choice, and a pack of the kabobs could be ground for small batch sausage or meatballs if I ever grew tired of the skewers. :mrgreen:

https://eatwyoming.com/product/lamb-bundle-2/

I need to do some investigation because the Mountain States Rosen plant in Greeley was sold, and yet this loin roast ($32) has a label that clearly says packaged in Greeley when you mouse over it.

https://eatwyoming.com/product/lamb-guys-ez-cut-loins/

I really like CO and WY lamb, hard to go wrong. The bundle looks real interesting, guessing it is about a 1/4 lamb??? I’m thinking the picture that references Greeley is just an old picture. I’m interested to give the a shot, the prices don’t look too bad.

Can you go wrong buying meat from “The Lamb Guys”?

Back