$500 Pits.

The Pecos and Wrangler are better choices because of large grate level exhaust and fully welded. The Pecos now has cook chamber door braces for better fit and to hold shape and a fully welded end cap design that strengthens the entire pit. The Wrangler being smaller and slightly heavier gauge did not require these upgrade. New style Pecos should be hitting Academy anytime as I saw Hundreds ready to ship yesterday at Old Country's Dist Center in Laredo Tx yesterday. :mrgreen:

We have nothing even remotely like that around here that I know of. Wish there was a "Starter" off-set with an upright warming box of reasonable quality that I could take a look at (but I need another rig like I need the proverbial additional hole in the head. I think SWMBO would look at me sideways if I even brought it up)

(my OK Joe off set has just about given up the ghost and I have always wished for a slightly bigger main chamber as well as the upright section)

Wrangler owners! Does anyone have a list of mods you have done? Dimensions, pictures and results. I have sealed mine with gasket tape and installed 3 tuning plates, 1/8 inch steel, cut 5x16. My problem is my hot spot is on the exhaust side even with the plates installed.

Any ideas? Thanks...

Does Old Country still make the Brazos model? As I remember it was a full 1/4" and was about $1,000. If it is still offered at Academy or other big boxes, it would definitely fill the void between the cheap offsets and the low end customs.

This would be a great way to go for a newbie who wants a quality smoker at a reasonable price.

New style Pecos should be hitting Academy anytime as I saw Hundreds ready to ship yesterday at Old Country's Dist Center in Laredo Tx yesterday. :mrgreen:

Does the new style Pecos still have the quality control issues? Since I'm in Wisconsin, there's a very slim chance that I'd be able to check one out in person before pulling the trigger so I'd be most likely ordering online.

Does the new style Pecos still have the quality control issues? Since I'm in Wisconsin, there's a very slim chance that I'd be able to check one out in person before pulling the trigger so I'd be most likely ordering online.

QC should be better as he redesigned manufacturing process a bit with the upgrades. Owner also told me he got a QC guy instead of just shop supervisor. I saw over 100 Pecos at the warehouse last week and just glancing at them they all seemed to be pretty decent.

QC should be better as he redesigned manufacturing process a bit with the upgrades. Owner also told me he got a QC guy instead of just shop supervisor. I saw over 100 Pecos at the warehouse last week and just glancing at them they all seemed to be pretty decent.

Perfect!! Thanks for the inside scoop, Sir!!:clap2:

What's the difference between the old and new Pecos?

Door bracing ( they had already started this) and new end caps on cook chamber. Before it was flat plate (fully) welded on and now it is a cap but goes inside the cook chamber 1" and spot welded then the outside is fully welded. It adds strength plus helps on production as pit won't get tweaked or twisted as easy. The whole smoker is more rigid and feels more solid.

So to tell if it's the new style you look at ends inside the cook chamber and if you see a 1" tab spot welded it's the new design. On the outside you can tell if they are side by side but otherwise would be hard to tell.

I'm about a week away from buying an OC Wrangler. They just started carrying the Wrangler at my store last year. Of the ones left at the local store, only one was good enough to take home. Now you have me thinking I need to wait until the new ones come in. Were all the changes to just the Pecos or did they upgrade the Wrangler as well?

Wrangler didn't need upgrades ( just QC and he has a new guy over that) as its smaller and heavier gauge. I like size of the Pecos better. I would make tuning plates for the Wrangler and either tuning plates or a convection plate for the Pecos.

Wrangler didn't need upgrades ( just QC and he has a new guy over that) as its smaller and heavier gauge. I like size of the Pecos better. I would make tuning plates for the Wrangler and either tuning plates or a convection plate for the Pecos.

I guess I'll just have to ask when they expect the new ones to arrive. I just don't want to put it off too long or else the funds get diverted. Then again will they discount the old ones before the new ones arrive? Decisions, decisions. Thanks and congrats on your new baby.

Back