$500 Pits.

Picked up this today:

PICT1056_zpshhawtgag.jpg

PICT1054_zpszjv8ahks.jpg

Was in Lowes & it had my name on it. Except the reduced price wasn't there. Talked to the manager: it was a return because the original purchaser said he couldn't keep the coals lit. So after one cook, it was back to the store. Did a little haggling & you can see the price I agreed to pay.

I can see a few leaks & there are a few "bad fits" and scratches. I'm sure I can fix most of what's wrong with it.

I've been wanting a stick burner for a while & the price was right!

Hell of a deal. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Thanks!

I'm going to start working with it over the next week or so. Will be doing a lot of research regards mods/fixes for this cooker. I think there is a lot of aftermarket information on the OK Joes.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve for me as I'm a WSM dude.

Robert
That's one heck of a deal!!
I own a Longhorn also.
As far mods go...I made a fire grate out of angle iron & expanded metal. It sits about 3 1/2" off the firebox floor. Next I welded a convection plate up out of 1/4" steel. Then used 1/2" nomex self stick gasket to seal my cooking chamber door.
I fill a chimney full of charcoal/lump mix and when it's lite and all glowing. I dump it in my firebox and then add 2 splits. I then let the smoker stabilize. "20 - 30 mins"
Main thing is maintaining a clean fire

Robert
That's one heck of a deal!!
I own a Longhorn also.
As far mods go...I made a fire grate out of angle iron & expanded metal. It sits about 3 1/2" off the firebox floor. Next I welded a convection plate up out of 1/4" steel. Then used 1/2" nomex self stick gasket to seal my cooking chamber door.
I fill a chimney full of charcoal/lump mix and when it's lite and all glowing. I dump it in my firebox and then add 2 splits. I then let the smoker stabilize. "20 - 30 mins"
Main thing is maintaining a clean fire

Thanks. It's a Highlander as near as I can tell. Probably about the right size for wifey & me.

Do you have pix of your fabricated fire grate & convection plate? Got DIY info? I'd really appreciate your knowledge. Totally newb regards this cooker.

Thanks!

I'm going to start working with it over the next week or so. Will be doing a lot of research regards mods/fixes for this cooker. I think there is a lot of aftermarket information on the OK Joes.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve for me as I'm a WSM dude.

It doesn't need many mods. A grate in FB to let as fall ( if it doesn't already have it) and a convection plate. That's it.

Longhair, that sliced butt looks great. What was the IT when you took it off? As far as leakage on your smoker, all I can see is TBS. Good job, Joe

A few folks have said these $500 stick burners are okay if you're aware of their "limitations". If the OK Joe is modded with firebox grate, and convection plate, what other limitations would there be?

A few folks have said these $500 stick burners are okay if you're aware of their "limitations". If the OK Joe is modded with firebox grate, and convection plate, what other limitations would there be?

The main one would be the thinner metal. Another would be air leaks. Both wiil cause fluctuation of temperatures.
I have a Longhorn it does put out good Q. You just you have to babysit it alot more.

The main one would be the thinner metal. Another would be air leaks. Both wiil cause fluctuation of temperatures.
I have a Longhorn it does put out good Q. You just you have to babysit it alot more.

It looks like the leaks can be fixed with gasket material, no? Firebox and main chamber doors?

Old thread but glad to see it bumped up. Nothing wrong at all with any of these lower end pits. I cut my BBQ teeth on cheap pits, first stick burner was the Chargriller Duo with firebox before I moved way, way up on my Horizon. If you can learn fire control on a COS, running a heavy duty pit is a relative breeze. After I got my Horizon I got rid of everything else. Funny, after 4 years with just this pit I kinda went backwards 'cause I got a steal on a Chargiller Outlaw that I use just once in a while to quick grill stuff but it's actually a good size grill. Feels good to remember my "roots" and appreciate even more my big pit. Whatever you can afford, just get to cooking !!

It looks like the leaks can be fixed with gasket material, no? Firebox and main chamber doors?
The main thing is to try and find one that has pretty good fit and go from there.
Yes it probably will need gasket on the doors. And the firebox sealed a little better. Also with the thin metal sometimes you get a little firebox sag.
The Longhorn makes some fine Q with just a little more effort.

The Pecos and Wrangler are better choices because of large grate level exhaust and fully welded. The Pecos now has cook chamber door braces for better fit and to hold shape and a fully welded end cap design that strengthens the entire pit. The Wrangler being smaller and slightly heavier gauge did not require these upgrade. New style Pecos should be hitting Academy anytime as I saw Hundreds ready to ship yesterday at Old Country's Dist Center in Laredo Tx yesterday. :mrgreen:

Back