THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brother i am loving your build!!!!!!! If you ever want to move South you r hired.... no need to send a resume!!!!!!! You are knocking it out of the park!!!!!!!!!!

Tell you what i really like the trailer is nice and tight... Fits the cooker
Looks clean!!!!! Kudos brother!!!!!

Excellent build. Sure wish I had a RF cooker like you are building. That would be next on my "want" list. Since I have no "building skills" I would have to find a builder. When the time comes, guess i will give TuscaloosaQ a call. But only if he can build me an LSU cooker.

Brother i am loving your build!!!!!!! If you ever want to move South you r hired.... no need to send a resume!!!!!!! You are knocking it out of the park!!!!!!!!!!

Tell you what i really like the trailer is nice and tight... Fits the cooker
Looks clean!!!!! Kudos brother!!!!!

Paul you are too kind, you and Tyler have probably forgot more about welding and metal fabrication then I will ever know!

Excellent build. Sure wish I had a RF cooker like you are building. That would be next on my "want" list. Since I have no "building skills" I would have to find a builder. When the time comes, guess i will give TuscaloosaQ a call. But only if he can build me an LSU cooker.

I have a feeling bbq trumps even the rival school so I bet he would build you the cooker of your dreams and then some.

Got the night started by thinking it would be a good idea to tie the doors open because I was going to be working inside the cooker and I didn't want those big doors crashing down on me.
picture.php

Took the plasma cutter to the drain, cut it off even with the reverse flow plate
picture.php

Ran a bead around the drain, I will take the grinder and a flap disc to the drain weld and middle seam of the reverse flow plate to make it smooth.
picture.php

Moved onto the cutout between the firebox and the cooking chamber. Was going to try to use a straight edge, but it was just to much of a pain so I cut this free hand with the plasma cutter
picture.php

Just noticed in this picture that I have a little bit still hanging in the upper right hand corner, I will have to knock that out tomorrow. Probably just take some pliers and pull it off.
picture.php

Ran a bead around the exhaust stack.
picture.php

Not pictured is that I got about 2/3 of the reverse flow plate fully welded in before I hit the duty cycle on my welder for the first time. So I decided that was a good time to shut it down for the night. Pretty happy with what I got done tonight, finish up the reverse flow plate tomorrow and I will be done inside the cooker except for the racks.

Name

I see you have 3 cookers posted that you own. So I'm wondering what you're gonna name this self built cooker? I'm thinking you should put a name on the cooker. Might as well advertise. Who knows you might get some business. Maybe we could have a contest to help you name it.

Got the propane cage built, I will drill a couple holes on each side and then strap the propane cylinder down.
picture.php

Moved onto the reverse flow plate dam
picture.php

Then I finished up the work session with the exhaust cap
picture.php

picture.php

Not pictured, I finished welding the reverse flow plate into place and got started welding the exterior spots that needed done. I have about 10 more minutes of welding to do on those areas. My goal tomorrow is to get the cooking rack slides built, I can always build the racks while the cooker is at paint. I am taking friday off, but plan on grinding most of the day on Saturday.

What a great build i loved reading/looking through the pics cant wait to see it finished up. its a goal of mine to build my own rolling pit and this is very inspirational

We are headed down the home stretch with this build. Got the cooking slides installed tonight, put in 3 levels. If all 3 racks are in, there is 4" clearance between. 9" of clearance between top & bottom racks. The middle rack is primarily for rib cooks, but I could see using it for chicken, sausages, etc...
picture.php

I will put on the anti-tips once I have the racks built.
picture.php

Went back and forth on shelf length. I decided to go only the width of the doors, I thought about going from the wood box to the end of the firebox.
picture.php

Light boxes from Tuscaloosa Q
picture.php

picture.php

Walking around the cooker
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I will build the cooking racks while the blaster/painter has the cooker. Other than that I have quite a bit of grinding to do on saturday and then it is headed off to make it look pretty. Oh I have a couple of thermometer to install and some probe ports, but nothing to complicated. All be darned if welding in the reverse flow plate didn't move the metal a little bit so I have some more grinding on the doors to get them back to fitting how I want.

Nice looking work. I take it the propane tank box has holes in the bottom to allow rain water to drain out?

Can't wait to see this thing finished.

Nice looking work. I take it the propane tank box has holes in the bottom to allow rain water to drain out?

Can't wait to see this thing finished.

It's a reverse flow so any water that would get in will come out the grease drain. This will be stored indoors when not in use so I don't anticipate that being an issue, plus I will probably do a high temp gasket seal around the doors.

It's a reverse flow so any water that would get in will come out the grease drain. This will be stored indoors when not in use so I don't anticipate that being an issue, plus I will probably do a high temp gasket seal around the doors.

I think he meant the 20lb tank holder in the front.

Speer's, that is easily the nicest, cleanest, most amazing build I've seen come out of a garage! You are truly an inspiration. To all of us at home wanting to build a big pit. Congrats man, my hats off to you!

I have enjoyed reading this thread and admiring all the pics and handiwork.

I've always wanted a cooker like this, and hoped that one day me and my dad could work on one together.I'm broke and he just passed away earlier this month. Maybe one day I can do this and make my son help.

Back