THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I make several styles of belly bacon, and always go for the 14-day dry cure method with cold smoke. 6 or 8 hours of smoke time is adequate, but when Mother Nature cooperates I will rest it overnight and give it another 8 hours the following day (and sometimes even a third day).

For the current "Cured" Throwdown I decided to use some two-day cold smoked bacon as a topper for a 2# meatloaf. The meatloaf has S&P, Panko, egg, onion, Wooster, smoked paprika, oregano and Hi-temp cheddar cheese.

I start around 250° to build color and flavor, then usually end up with a pit temp around 275°. I also added some chicken meatballs that were served with Buffalo sauce. HERE is the link to the meatballs.

ZzjVsyS.jpg

MmAlFZM.jpg

l6v2vtb.jpg

BxFJ6sO.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant!!!
I am making a venison/brisket meatloaf for supper and will top it with bacon, thanks for the inspiration.

Wayne that looks amazing and that bacon sounds incredible I would like those meatballs too

I forgot to include the meatball LINK. These are very good and easy to make.

Cold smoked bacon has 2X flavor when pan fried, but when it's smoked again like on meatloaf or on onion/pepper rings, or ABT's it gets even more flavorful.

dErawRa.jpg

CUGfMw6.jpg

Serious eats. Meat loaf is not my go to but I would definitely hit that one.

Try adding 50% ground pork, or bulk sausage to your ground beef... it can be a game changer. For instance, we make Mexi-Meatloaf with 50% chorizo, chile powder, onion, garlic, peppers, jalapeno, cheese, even some sweet corn will work.

The bacon topped meatloaf was awesome last night, looking forward to fried meatloaf leftovers for lunch today.

The bacon topped meatloaf was awesome last night, looking forward to fried meatloaf leftovers for lunch today.

Good to hear that.... yeah, sandwiches are something to look forward too.

When playing around with additional seasonings on the bacon strips, you can go a bit heavy since the cook time is so long. I don't like to use too sweet of a rub as the sugar can darken, but black pepper works well. I used a Nashville Hot Chicken rub on the bacon not too long ago and it gave it a nice kick.

While I'm not a big meatloaf fan, I would certainly dig into that one, Wayne!

When I was a kid, my mom used to drape slices of bacon over the meatloaf she made. I always ate the bacon first!

Smoked meatloaf is the rotation in our house. We will make a few up and vac seal. So a couple of days let it thaw and smoke. Nice and easy. Now the bacon, that's the show stopper.

Back