THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tatanka

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Per the suggestions I received here, my second smoke on the Weber Smokey Mountain was a couple of fatties, 1 sage and 1 regular Jimmy Dean sausage. Looking to build up soot in the WSM so it seals better, holds lower temp, etc.

In the photos the fatty on the right is a completely nekked sage job; on the left is the regular one that I slathered with yellow mustard and rolled in brown sugar, just to see what happened. 3 applewood chunks and took them to 180F internal temps. Fully rendered and mighty tasty with some basted eggs. My wife prefered the brown sugar fatty over the sage and I agreed.

Didn't show up in the photos, but smoke penetration was pretty good.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks, Folks, they did taste great, and at least 1/2 left for later. What I'm thinking is freshly smoked, sliced fatty with eggs (and occasionally hashbrowns/grits) and then the rest at room temp appetizers with crackers. Gee, is cheese smoking in my future, too?:icon_smile_tongue:

Now that it's somewhat broke in, I need to increase the amount of meat per smoke. It's "smoke efficiency!":biggrin1:

By the way, y'all ask about meat prices: Went to our local grocery today. While there I perused the meat counter and meat case. Picked up two very nice porterhouse steaks I'm preparing tomorrow on the kettle for $8.99/lb. Not bad. Went down the meat case and saw chuckies for $4.99/lb., country style ribs for $3.79/lb., and flank steak for $11.99/lb.! Had to be a mistake.

Look good. Now if we can just get you to update your signature so we know which WSM you have. I really love my 22.5". I did some mods, look at my signature for some things you "might" think of doing. Have two briskets slow rolling right now...

Looks good, you don't have to take them to 180, 165 is good. Love fatties, my wife doesn't like the name though so I call them sausage rolls:crazy:

If you want to speed up the gunking (sealing) process then get you a nice shank portion smoked ham about 10-12 pounds. Fill your water pan up with water and smoke the ham at 225 with whatever wood chunks you like. Get some pineapple juice and mix it with brown sugar to a thin syrup consistency. Brush it on the ham every 30 minutes for a couple hours. The steaming fat and sugars will seal the WSM better than a gasket kit. When the ham is at around 145 or so internal take it up and shut down all the vents on the cooker. Let the WSM cool naturally. Then enjoy the best ham you ever ate.

Naked fatties rock! :rockon:

Where are you guys getting recipes for these Fatties? I need to try a couple.

Check out the link in my signature! One you have mastered the naked fatty you can move on to enrobing and stuffing, if you feel the need :-D

Back