THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're not going to like feeding a stick burner in the dead of winter, I know I didn't. Insulated vertical gets my vote. If you don't mind battling the elements every 30-45 minutes to feed the fire than by all means go with a stick burner.

You're not going to like feeding a stick burner in the dead of winter, I know I didn't. Insulated vertical gets my vote. If you don't mind battling the elements every 30-45 minutes to feed the fire than by all means go with a stick burner.

I'm with you.... Been there before I bought my Humphrey's..... Now I sleep like a baby, no more tending fires all night long, or as you mentioned in the dead of winter.

Do nationwide Craigslist search, there is a lot of nice used stuff out there. I bought my Klose 20x50 Backyard Chef for $2000 used. Had a charcoal basket with it, tuning plate, and 1/2" firebox. New today that would have been like $3600+.

Talk with Paul Shirley and take a family trip. It'll be about a 2400 mile trip through some really nice country. I did the 2800 drive from Colorado last month and had to drive through Kansas. That is not really nice country to drive through. :wink:

I will be interested in learning what you end up going with. Living in a colder climate I think I would opt for a vertical insulated smoker. I've heard really good things about pitmaker's Vault Smokers. If SGH is out there he can speak to this.

Happy Lonestar customer here as well. Since you did mention a stick burner I would check out the vertical offsets from LSG. IMO You can def swing a 24x24 vertical offset for $2500 total with shipping. Vertical offsets have small footprint and a ton of cooking space. I've got a 24x30 and LOVE IT!

There is one for sale right now from a brethren and a mod on here. MilitantSquatter (Vinny) if you're interested with an insulated firebox but his in Charlotte, NC.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209953

Here is what a 24x24 looks like

eric_pit_2.jpg

honestly, all the suggestions are great, but i would go for this. you could probably rent a van and go pick it up. it's right in the heart of bbq country and you could probably stop at a few good places on the way.

I'm not sure how I feel about the vertical pits. I think id have an issue with the Boston Butt dripping on the Brisket etc. If I go vertical it will be a Humphrey's as I can go right to the factory and pick one up.
How do you guys like the Jambo backyard? I can get one delivered for $2750 to my driveway. 5 or 6 week lead time. Not very big, but the insulated firebox is a nice touch for the price range.

Their is a long thread on here with a guy with a crack in his firebox on a jambo backyard. You can read it and see what you think of the customer service of Jamie. I am sure it would be a great pit.

Take a look at the Humphrey's Battle Box. Mine just arrived and is sitting in it's crate (unpacking and review to come). After the smoke cleared mine was just a hair under the $2500 price you are trying to hit.

Keep in mind that you will keep it long term so you likely should get the options you want up front. Good luck and buy what you want. You will know it when you see it.

For the $2,750 you could get an awful nice Shirley delivered. Patio model with a warmer delivered I bet. I would call Paul and see.

Just got my Humphrey beast and really love how it holds the heat. Very user friendly, I had the same issue with the weber - always flipping things around and all. Probably won't ever fire the WSM up again or at least not for a while. I had it built and put on a cart so I can roll it in to the garage for storage. Whatever you buy weigh your wants separate from your needs the wants will blow your budget to pieces!

Talk with Craig at Bell fab. They have a good quality product and will make it however you want it. Craig is a great guy to deal with, the wait is not excessive and you will probably get what you want, with the freight and all within your budget. I love mine, Joe

Are you looking for new only? If not I might be willing to part with my gator pit bandit 20 x 40 w/vertical. Could definitely fall within your budget.

Attachments

• 09 077.jpg
    09 077.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 09 082.jpg
    09 082.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 167
Back