1st time wings meet the Chicken Graveyard

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
After seeing multiple wing cooks over the weekend I had a craving so it was time to put wings to the test on the new cooker. I was going to season half of them with RecTeq Asian Persuasion rub. The other were getting AP rub and going to be sauced with Cattleman's Tangy Carolina Gold. For good measure I threw on 2 brats because who doesn't love those?

This proved to be a learning experience the wings were delicious but they didn't get the crispy skin I expected. Maybe it is because they are smaller so they aren't on as long for the skin to dry out.
Also, a couple of the Asian rubbed wings got a little hot and charred the sugar in the rub. This goes with the territory and just gotta stay on top of turning more often.

The food was great, but will definitely change some things up next time grilling wings. I'd definitely still say aint no better way to cook wings than frying them.

P.S. if you haven't tried Johnsonville Firecracker Brats definitely do. They are loaded with great flavor and just the right amount of spice. Best brat I've ever eaten.
25cc6e6871e4d1cf30e2ab013e07cb99.jpg
cf347f418cc2ed9250f7a6f03d1a0845.jpg
7ecda91786ba3aff3648392a0f34494e.jpg
dbff6a7fe2da561a7e78628fa0234e22.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Looks pretty good to me. One suggestion if I may, is to cook chicken at much higher temps to render out the skin fat for crispier texture. Doesn't look like much charcoal to give you higher temps.

Looks pretty good to me. One suggestion if I may, is to cook chicken at much higher temps to render out the skin fat for crispier texture. Doesn't look like much charcoal to give you higher temps.
Sako always open to advice. The temps were hitting 400* by the Signals with one large chimney. Maybe next time I should do 2 chimneys?

Sako always open to advice. The temps were hitting 400* by the Signals with one large chimney. Maybe next time I should do 2 chimneys?

Maybe 1 1/2? You don't want too much either where you're going burn the food. With any new cooker there is a learning curve and judging from the pic I think you needed a little bit more coals.

I usually use my Weber kettle for chicken and cook indirect with the slow n sear. My radiant heat over the chicken has to be about 450-500. I know direct over the coals is easily 600*+ Now obviously direct heat at 600 will burn your chicken to a crisp. You'll dial it in with a few cooks. A lot of variables with each cooker and my only observation that it needed more coals to get crispy skin.

Or maybe bank the hot coals on one side (right side on your cooker) and place the chicken indirect on the left side. This way you have the heat/smoke travel under/over your meat and out the chimney. Kind of like replicating a PK cooker or a weber kettle.

Back