19th Century Family Chicken Salad w/ 21st Century Chicken (w/ Pr0n!)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
It's been awesome having Mom here with us for the last 10 days! Watching her enjoy time as Grandma warms my heart.

Also, my Mom is an amazing cook. Sitting around the dinner table last night, we batted around the idea of making some of her grandmother's famous chicken salad that starts with a whole chicken cooked either in the pot or in the oven (which ever was available). I offered to cook up a batch of chicken thighs on the kettle & Vortex combo instead.

Seasoned with just SPOG, the thighs went onto the kettle with the Vortex for about an hour.

Eey65ctl.jpg

Meanwhile, we made a "cooked dressing" for the salad with some eggs, ACV, and sugar in a double boiler... stirring until the color and consistency changed... thickened... then off the heat and added butter for richness and smoothness, then finally some Dukes mayo for consistency and a little twang.

t3ZuCENl.jpg

After the thighs had cooled, I removed the skins (saved them as a treat... especially that crispy "whale tail"... for CINCHOUSE), and we stripped the meat from the bone. Then, Mom used kitchen shears to cut the meat down to medium dice.

9GwT9E8l.jpg

She added in diced celery and diced sweet gherkins.

1JBhs8tl.jpg

Finally, we combined the cooled cooked dressing with the chicken and veggies mix, and gently folded it all together... tasted for seasoning... and into the fridge it went to mellow for a few hours before dinner.

AAqamq8l.jpg

This stuff is amazing, and the whole family still makes the stuff in kitchens all around the country today.

Thanks for joining me on a fun trip down memory lane and for a great afternoon project with Mom.

That cooked dressing sounds very interesting. I gotta try that next time I make chix salad. Good chix salad is such a beautiful thang and yours looks fantastic! And yay for gathering family together! :clap2:

We went full-up Southern Summer Supper...

Threw the corn on the grill.

EVzN5Q0l.jpg

Mom sliced up a couple of wonderful heirloom tomatoes (yeah, the ones that look like real tomatoes used to look... the ones that still taste like real tomatoes).

hbvWXFJl.jpg

Served the chicken salad along with the corn, tomatoes, and Saltines... aka "pushers" in Tidewater, VA.

HISkjBal.jpg

It's bloody hot here in ABQ, but we're staying as light and cool as possible 'round here.

Those ‘maters look tasty….I have a hard time enjoying the typical commercial ones mostly filled with goop. I like my tomatoes meaty.

Me, too. Give me all the "ugly" tomatoes. I want all the odd colors... those with edges. That's how my MeeMaw's garden used to look... and those 'maters were ridiculously delicious with a bit of S&P!

All right, now I have to put corn on the grill this weekend. Cooking with my MIL. We’re going to do some kind of fish, but maybe we’ll throw some chicken thighs on too so we can make this salad.

I’ve got tomato seeds. Now I just have to plant them.

And we may get to a peach orchard. Has anybody cooked peaches on the grill?

Back