• Vortex Cooked Armenian BBQ Chicken Thighs

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
I've only cooked chicken wings using my vortex, and figured I might as well give chicken thighs a try.

Before I go any further, for those of you who are wondering about "Armenian BBQ", and what it is, I've posted a number of lamb cooks using this technique/style/marinade, it's kind of all 3. It is our #1 hands down favorite preparation for cooking lamb rib chops and chicken.

In a nutshell:

Skewered marinated meat is cooked over hot charcoal. That's it. And you don't have to put the meat on skewers to get the same effect. The seasoning I use(Was given to me by a local Armenian butcher with a huge following out here) is very simple: Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper. That's it. Marinate seasoned meat at least two hours before cooking, then freshly squeezed lemon juice is added an hour before cooking. It packs a great flavor, but never overpowers the meat.

Seasoning is as follows:

2 TBS Paprika
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper

I usually make 4-6x this amount so I have plenty on hand at all times.

So on to the cooking!

Here's the chicken in the marinade:

IMG_6248_zpsyfgh0vmq.jpg

Vortex fired up:

IMG_6246_zpst36eoow2.jpg

Chicken on the vortex:

IMG_6250_zpsnqnjztvy.jpg

Added a little piece of oak for smoke:

IMG_6251_zpsykvl7zno.jpg

Then let the kettle and vortex do their thing for an hour:

IMG_6255_zps58jgmv5r.jpg

This is how those thighs came out:

4.30.2020%20Armenian%20BBQ%20Chicken%20Thighs_zpsccgpohxe.jpg

Skin was a little crispy, meat was juicy and savory, all of it delicious!

Those thighs look scrumptious. If you will please expand on the marinade process. What liquid is used in the marinade and how much or is this the lemon juice added after the thighs have been sitting withe the seasoning for two hrs. Sorry for my confusion.

Looks great. That vortex works magic on chicken. I haven’t found a better way to cook wings, thighs or drummies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks tremendous. I may have to give recipe a shot. Have you tried using fresh garlic with it? (Or maybe its one those recipes you just don’t tinker with :grin:)

Great color, gonna have to try this. I've enjoyed using the vortex for thighs for the same reason I like the chicken wings that come off of it. I have some boneless thighs in the freezer that I might have to season up like this and poke with some skewers. :thumb:

Those thighs look scrumptious. If you will please expand on the marinade process. What liquid is used in the marinade and how much or is this the lemon juice added after the thighs have been sitting withe the seasoning for two hrs. Sorry for my confusion.

Part of the liquid you see is moisture from the chicken, and some from the lemon juice. The picture was taken just before the thighs went on the grill. If your chicken is "dry", it would help to add a little oil to get everything a bit slippery before you season it up. I typically put the chicken on a baking pan and sprinkle it on, turning the chicken again to season the other side. Then it all goes into a bowl to get happy for a while.

Looks tremendous. I may have to give recipe a shot. Have you tried using fresh garlic with it? (Or maybe its one those recipes you just don’t tinker with :grin:)

I would not use fresh garlic in this as it would completely change the flavor profile. Try it as is first!

This looks simple and awesome. Definitely trying it. I'm going to guess about 1/4 cup lemon juice will suffice? That's about 1 fresh squeezed lemon.

This looks simple and awesome. Definitely trying it. I'm going to guess about 1/4 cup lemon juice will suffice? That's about 1 fresh squeezed lemon.

That should work. Be careful with the lemon, though, as you don't want meat exposed to it for too long, especially chicken, as it will start to make the meat "mushy" . An hour seems to be just about right, though beef and lamb can stand up to it for a bit longer.

Richard,

Those are some solid looking thighs, nice cook my friend!

Thanks
Greg

Back