• Anyone know anything about Commercial gas oven thermostats??

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
(Before the mods boot the thread, its for a smokehouse...:wink:)

It's been a while since I've been back here but I have a project I'm working on that after exhausting all my sources this was the only place I thought I might get some help figuring this out sooo Hiiiii!!! lol :wave:

Ok so what had happen wuzzzz... I have a 8x8 smokehouse for my production that I'm trying the get a commercial thermostat installed in order to control my burner at the desired temps instead of hanging around micro adjusting a regulator to get my temps dialed in every time I smoke...

I plan on getting a Robertshaw commercial gas thermostat and what I'd really like some help from anyone that knows about this stuff is how do I connect it all. The thermostat itself is pretty straight forward but will I need a safety magnet switch, a pilot light (thinking an electrical spark ignitor would be better with the circulation fan in there) or whatever else. Then how do I run all the copper? IF I do use a pilot light where does that pick up the gas feed from?

Again, I know its a blind shot in the dark here but I'm having a hard time getting my appliance & stove guys to think outside the box on this one.

Cheers :rapture:

Can't help ya, but welcome back Phrasty!

Jeanie!!! Thank you! It's been a while hasn't it! I see lots of the OGs are still here lol. I'll try stick around for a bit. Maybe I share the progress on this project.... Just need to figure out how to post pics on here again... :drama:

Good to see you again. Here's the deal.

1st a disclaimer. This is long distance diagnosis. You are not providing near the info I would need and no pictures. Try www.imgur.com free web hosting website to post pic's.

So, I will tell you the way it's supposed to work.

1. No matter if it's a standing pilot or spark igniter, it HAS to have a flame proving safety circuit. It's normally done with a device that has to Prove the actual burner is burning. These days this is done with the ignition module which is wired through the main gas valve. If the flame is not proven to the ignition module, it shut off the gas valve and service is required. Buildings are blown up.

2. As stated, not enough info. Any schematics of the Robertshaw or gas valve wiring? Many variants.
This is about as far as I can go with the info provided.

Good Luck and BE SAFE!

Hey Mike, Ok lemme see if I can shed a bit more light on my situation. This is my plan so far. You can tell me if im on the right track..

This is my smoke-house I'm working with. Right now that rack is in the middle of the room but how it will eventually be is Id have a rack running on the left/right & back wall opposite the entrance and the burner in the middle of the room. The fan circulates up from the center then out to the sides and back up again.
NeqnUSAh.jpg

What Im thinking is this... I have an external gas source run with copper to this thermostat on the exterior wall of the smokehouse. I'll drill a hole through the wall to get the probe of the thermostat in the cooking space.
qfW3bUyh.jpg

fMnhp64h.jpg

I have one of these thermocouples that I can run down from the thermostat to the burner and the sensor will be in contact with the flame when in operation and cut off the gas when the flame goes out.
b30gOpeh.jpg

But I was aaaalso thinking I could go a step further and run one of these safety mag switches and a gas pilot flame instead of the thermocouple mentioned above...
xSgZ6x2h.jpg

For ignition I was looking at running one of these down to the pilot flame to get it up and running again in case of an outage..
284mVOvh.jpg

That's as far as I have it all planned in my head... Would that work? AND yes... more importantly would it be safe?

Cheers Mike & thanks again!

Last edited:
Phrasty,

While I can't contribute anything related to your question, it sounds like Mike has you on the right track.

What I can do is welcome you back and let you know how good it is to see you here! Your wonderful cook threads have been missed by many, myself included. Stick around for a while and dive in.

:grouphug:

One of my smokers is propane assisted. It has a pilot safety, but temp is regulated via a knob that adjusts gas flow. That controls the temperature and is always steady. But it's not an actual thermostat that turns gas/flame on/off.

OK Phrasty, I'm glad you got to post some pic's. I am going to take your pic's along with the captions you posted one at a time from the bottom up. As per before my disclaimer is in effect.

Photo #5 - For ignition I was looking at running one of these down to the pilot flame to get it up and running again in case of an outage.. Your statement above the pic. What outage are you referring to? No electricity required if you are using the thermocouple. If gas goes out, that is a shortage. Lights may go out but not the gas. That pic is of a PTO ignitior. You don't need it.

I would like to ask how many burners are in that rig? I've been thinking it was only one. Please let me know if it is more.

Photo #4 - But I was aaaalso thinking I could go a step further and run one of these safety mag switches and a gas pilot flame instead of the thermocouple mentioned above... Your quote from #4. What are you going to use to feed gas to the pilot light flame? Does the Robertshaw T-stat have a pilot gas feed tube? What are you going to use to mount the thermocouple in the pilot flame? I cannot tell from the pics. Yes, got to have it but would be a good idea to place the thermocouple in the pilot flame too. You may have to for it to work.

Photo#3 - I have one of these thermocouples that I can run down from the thermostat to the burner and the sensor will be in contact with the flame when in operation and cut off the gas when the flame goes out. A thermocouple is meant to sense pilot flame. If it's over the main burner flame it will burn out. Placement is critical.

Photo #2 - What Im thinking is this... I have an external gas source run with copper to this thermostat on the exterior wall of the smokehouse. I'll drill a hole through the wall to get the probe of the thermostat in the cooking space. OK, 1st of all, do you know what natural gas does to the inside of copper tubing? It oxidizes it causing black flaking it. This residue comes off the walls of the pipe and into the valve causing it to fail. Also, the pilot tube and thermocouple tube have to always be UNDER the heat source. Same with the T-stat controller.

Photo#1 - Nice idea and nice setup! Nice meat too. I did not to be harsh but many factors to do it safe and right. I'm retired after 46 years in HVAC and I just went with my training.

Best Regards and Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey Mike! thanks so much for the response! Ok let me go through and respond...

OK Phrasty, I'm glad you got to post some pic's. I am going to take your pic's along with the captions you posted one at a time from the bottom up. As per before my disclaimer is in effect.

Photo #5 - For ignition I was looking at running one of these down to the pilot flame to get it up and running again in case of an outage.. Your statement above the pic. What outage are you referring to? No electricity required if you are using the thermocouple. If gas goes out, that is a shortage. Lights may go out but not the gas. That pic is of a PTO ignitior. You don't need it. Ok cool can do away with that

I would like to ask how many burners are in that rig? I've been thinking it was only one. Please let me know if it is more. Was only planning on using one burner as long as it can heat the room sufficiently which I think it can

Photo #4 - But I was aaaalso thinking I could go a step further and run one of these safety mag switches and a gas pilot flame instead of the thermocouple mentioned above... Your quote from #4. What are you going to use to feed gas to the pilot light flame? Does the Robertshaw T-stat have a pilot gas feed tube? If you look at the photo of the Thermostat it has a brass lock off nut in the lower right side, I was assuming that was for the pilot light but for example when I look at my commercial stove it seems to have one of those mag switches by the oven burner that primes the pilot light by depressing the button that sends gas to the pilot light which will stay on once you've held it down for a few seconds or soWhat are you going to use to mount the thermocouple in the pilot flame? Ill figure out some kind of bracket that will position it correctly in the pilot light/flame I cannot tell from the pics. Yes, got to have it but would be a good idea to place the thermocouple in the pilot flame too. You may have to for it to work.

Photo#3 - I have one of these thermocouples that I can run down from the thermostat to the burner and the sensor will be in contact with the flame when in operation and cut off the gas when the flame goes out. A thermocouple is meant to sense pilot flame. If it's over the main burner flame it will burn out. Placement is critical. Yes, that makes absolute sense, noted

Photo #2 - What Im thinking is this... I have an external gas source run with copper to this thermostat on the exterior wall of the smokehouse. I'll drill a hole through the wall to get the probe of the thermostat in the cooking space. OK, 1st of all, do you know what natural gas does to the inside of copper tubing? It oxidizes it causing black flaking it. This residue comes off the walls of the pipe and into the valve causing it to fail. Out here I'll double check but we mainly still use propane for our "gas". Will that be an issue? Also, the pilot tube and thermocouple tube have to always be UNDER the heat source. Same with the T-stat controller. Think I might need to talk to you a bit more for clarification on this. I might just end up Dming you...

Photo#1 - Nice idea and nice setup! Nice meat too. I did not to be harsh but many factors to do it safe and right. I'm retired after 46 years in HVAC and I just went with my training. Honestly Mike this is why I decided to reach out to the board. I am not taking the safety of this lightly and you're probably exactly the type of brethren I was hoping would chime in and guide me to help get it done properly! Really appreciate it.

Best Regards and Hope this helps.

That is Great! You have a good plan. What I was really concerned about if You knew what you were doing. You do. Your last statement says it all.

I do not know if propane will flake copper tubing. You may want to research it some more.

PM/DM anytime.

Best Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
That is Great! You have a good plan. What I was really concerned about if You knew what you were doing. You do. Your last statement says it all.

I do not know if propane will flake copper tubing. You may want to research it some more.

PM/DM anytime.

Best Regards,
Mike

Ill definitely DM you if needed... :thumb:
Thanks again.

Back