Phinally a Pharker! First Cook: Tri-Tip

Johnny in L.A.

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Brethren,

After lurking forever, I finally got a pit that I can share photos from. I started this journey with an 18" kettle, then moved to a KBQ stick burner that I never had the time to run for long cooks, and now have a MAK Two Star General.

I love all good 'cue whether it's from a stick burner, charcoal with chunks, and now pellets. I'll save the MAK talk for that thread, and concentrate on the cook!

Prime tri-tip from my corner market. Dry-brined with Oakridge Santa Maria and a bit of extra salt overnight.

h3Wfh8O.jpg

Smoked for a few hours at low temp using Bear Mountain hickory pellets. Then seared on the same cooker at about 500. I could have waited for the grill to heat up a bit more but we were hungry. :wink: Searing:

JFCPwmj.jpg

Seared and resting:

2SrWzc0.jpg

Sliced:

KqNGnxJ.jpg

Results: I over-spiced it a bit. It came out with a bacon-y flavor that I don't know whether it was from the extra salt combined with the Santa Maria rub, or the rub itself, or the pellets, or a combination. I do enjoy bacon, but would like more of a beef flavor on the next one. It was a bit chewy even sliced against the grain. Next time I'll slice it thinner. Sandwiches the next day were excellent.

The MAK experience and flavor was exactly as described by rwalters: it didn't have the smoke profile of a well-run stick burner. But it had great flavor and was a hit with the family. Meat, seasonings, and smoke were balanced. Considering I failed at stick burning due to a lack of time and patience, I'm overjoyed I've found a way to cook barbecue. The MAK is a thing of beauty and very easy to use.

Thanks for all the inspiration! I look forward to learning how to make great cue from you all and posting it here.

Thanks, Andy. I tried to cut is across the grain on both sides of the "T." Did my cut look to you as with the grain?

Just saw you said it was chewy and wasn't sure if you knew that the grain changes direction in a tri tip.

Thank you very much! I think it was the prime meat which had more fat in it. I reverse seared it to get smoke flavor into it. I'm thinking the traditional Santa Maria grill cooking method renders the fat better.

Back