Anyone Own A Kat Vault Cooker ?

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
this cooker has got my attention and in the near future I am wanting a leave and forget it smoker that I can put the food on before going bed and wake up and be almost done . I love my Shirley and will never sell this one but want to add to my arsenal when I do not have time for stick burning .

That looks nice, $4,000??

Wasn't your stumps junior similar?

I wish I never sold my Stump's Smoker and yes it is similar but was a gravity fed and this one is a indirect cook , I still might buy a used one . the Kat is only $2,450 with out the cart and I know he builds some quality units .

With the Shirley upright couldn't you do a bunch of charcoal and do the minion method for a decent burn time?

With the Shirley upright couldn't you do a bunch of charcoal and do the minion method for a decent burn time?

I was thinking that but I would need to make a plate to put above so it would not direct cook the food and make it so I could control the temp . if I could add a BBQ Guru to the side and somehow make a plate I would have the best of both worlds for a cooker . maybe you guys can throw some ideas my way on the how I should do the plate and I know I could add the Guru adapter pretty easy .

I tried a minion cook in my Shirley but I found it to be too drafty. Couldn't control the airflow enough, so the whole basket of coals just lit up.

Those Kat vaults do look really sharp...

I tried a minion cook in my Shirley but I found it to be too drafty. Couldn't control the airflow enough, so the whole basket of coals just lit up.

Those Kat vaults do look really sharp...

did you shut the vent on the door when doing this ? just curious .

Yep. Fully shut and the basket went from 10 coals to a full basket burn in 20-30 minutes

I think then it was getting to much airflow through the main chamber opening , thanks for your help .

It was drafting the way it should, near as I figure the door isn't even close to a seal. Same with the intake wheel. Plenty of airflow gets in both. It doesn't really matter when you use it how it's intended. Oh, btw, I was using it through the main, not as a vertical, so no air from the main chamber... But I'd bet that would probably be an issue too if you go vert.

I am interested in this also. It seems that it runs about 250 (?) but can you boost the temp to run it hotter or is it you get what you get ?

I am interested in this also. It seems that it runs about 250 (?) but can you boost the temp to run it hotter or is it you get what you get ?
As with any cooker you can increase temps with more airflow, I think Kat references 250 because that's one of the more popular cooking temps.

I like the Vault, I like the industrial look. If Shirley Fab were to ever make a charcoal water cooker I think this is what it would look like.

If I get the vault I will definitely have the BBQ Guru so it will cook at hotter temps or what ever temp I want . the 250 degree is probably cooking with just adjusting the ball valve .

I have been really looking at KAT Cookers, last week I almost called him to swing by while I was in Modesto. Unfortunately things got busy. And I am not really ready to get a new smoker, but, I was there.

It was drafting the way it should, near as I figure the door isn't even close to a seal. Same with the intake wheel. Plenty of airflow gets in both. It doesn't really matter when you use it how it's intended. Oh, btw, I was using it through the main, not as a vertical, so no air from the main chamber... But I'd bet that would probably be an issue too if you go vert.

What about throwing some foil in between the door and firebox for a makeshift gasket? I don't think a guru type adapter would be hard to put on the vent.

I was thinking that but I would need to make a plate to put above so it would not direct cook the food and make it so I could control the temp . if I could add a BBQ Guru to the side and somehow make a plate I would have the best of both worlds for a cooker . maybe you guys can throw some ideas my way on the how I should do the plate and I know I could add the Guru adapter pretty easy .

I thought I saw in one of the Shirley videos they made a plate to go over the opening? I don't remember which one but I think there was a YouTube video with someone testing it out.

Cooking in the warmer, snake method.

I tried it once and the same thing happened, all the coals lit up. I did get 4 hours of sleep though, LOL.

Last edited:
Back