Does making an impression on top

I've had my butt in a brierpatch before and it didn't come apart! Just kidding but I don't get the question.

Yea, the indent is more to keep the shape.. Are you having problems with burgers falling apart? If so, up your fat content a bit..

Yep it'll stop it from shrinking up into the shape you don't want....the fat juice settles in the dimple.

Stop using lean meat anything over 80/20 and you got gravel
Can't go with that one Blu. My butcher only carries 98% and I do some fantastic burgers. Stuffed for an example I might take to 130 IT then sear to 150 IT and let it rest to take it up a tad more. Always Always delicious and very juicy.

Ground up a 21+ pound brisket. Only fat removed was the rock hard stuff. Did add a pound and a half of bacon. I made a hand formed patty, didn't even become to come apart. Wife made a few burgers with a press she has, 2 of them got a bit loose. Can't help but wonder if she is just not using enough meat....

Wife made a few burgers with a press she has, 2 of them got a bit loose. Can't help but wonder if she is just not using enough meat....

If it's not at least a half pound, she's not using enough meat. :becky:

I use 93%. When mixing in the spices I throw in a handfull of shredded mixed cheese before I press out the burgers. I also throw in some carmelized onions and diced sweet peppers. Even with the onions and peppers added the cheese works as a great binder and keeps it together!

P.s. - To stay on topic I'll add that the dimple keeps the burger from becoming a grilled meatball(flat)!

Stop using lean meat anything over 80/20 and you got gravel

I'm with you. I can't imagine anything above 80/20. Even 85/15 is too lean for a proper burger. Oh and I can't imagine breaking the nice mince by mixing stuff in to mimic the soft white fat. It is true to each his/her own but I think those who think they make a good lean burger just haven't tried 80/20. :becky::becky::becky:

As for the dimple it is part of proper procedure but I have noticed its become a caricature of itself. I see people make a neat patty then stick their thumb nearly through it to "give it a dimple". What is necessary is for the center of the patty to be concave to the edges. The edges should be the thickness you seek from the final burger while the center is depressed so it can "pop" when cooking due to the steam of the moisture and the tensing of the meat as it cooks. As the other posters said you get meatballs because the meat domes out as you cook. I have also noticed that the pop happens as well when you cook lidded. If you cook on a hot open fire you tend to get less of a problem. I hand press all my patties. A 1 cup measure will give you a perfect half pound burger. I place the cone of meat from the measure in my palm and press using my thumb as a guide. This allows me to press harder with the underside of my knuckles to create that dimple gradually across the whole patty.

I'm with you. I can't imagine anything above 80/20. Even 85/15 is too lean for a proper burger. Oh and I can't imagine breaking the nice mince by mixing stuff in to mimic the soft white fat. It is true to each his/her own but I think those who think they make a good lean burger just haven't tried 80/20. :becky::becky::becky:

As for the dimple it is part of proper procedure but I have noticed its become a caricature of itself. I see people make a neat patty then stick their thumb nearly through it to "give it a dimple". What is necessary is for the center of the patty to be concave to the edges. The edges should be the thickness you seek from the final burger while the center is depressed so it can "pop" when cooking due to the steam of the moisture and the tensing of the meat as it cooks. As the other posters said you get meatballs because the meat domes out as you cook. I have also noticed that the pop happens as well when you cook lidded. If you cook on a hot open fire you tend to get less of a problem. I hand press all my patties. A 1 cup measure will give you a perfect half pound burger. I place the cone of meat from the measure in my palm and press using my thumb as a guide. This allows me to press harder with the underside of my knuckles to create that dimple gradually across the whole patty.
Thanks for the info, will be trying this next time....

Back