What do you do with your FAT.

waywardtravel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm new at buying larger quantities of beef or pork.

I just trimmed 80lbs of flank steaks for instance for jerky. I'd guess there is about 5lbs of 90% fat, 3%silver lining, and 7% beef.

I'm thinking of simmering it to make a broth.
What is recommended.
I don't do sausage yet.

Also what can be done with the fat after pulling pork. Especially a belly.

Thanks for any tips.

If it's hard fat save it up and when you get enough make soap. My niece makes soap and gets about $12.00 to $15.00 a bar. She renders down about 70 to 80 pounds of hard fat at a time though. My BIL always saves the fat for her when he butches a cow or two.

You can put the fat in a pot on low and let it render all the fat (takes a few hours). You end up with craklins and beef tallow. Beef tallow is a great fat for frying/sauteeing.

Couple things I do with it:

Season the inside of the smoker with it (prevents rust)

or

Take and put it inside a wire cage for the birds to eat at. The woodpeckers will love you forever.

What about rendering then injecting it. Into something like a leaner beef like a tenderloin?

I guess I should break it down to craklins and tallow and see just what this is all about.

Soap sounds interesting but I'll never do that.

I was reading it's usually the main ingredient in leather conditioner. That stuff is over 14 bucks a small bottle here. I might play with that also.
I would love the smell of bbq in my truck. It gets pretty bad in the rainy months

Back