Insanely Cheap Knives with Killer Reviews

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have recently stumbled upon some seriously intriguing and below dirt cheap knives that I thought I'd share. Reading the praises in culinary circles and reviews like this one have made me order a couple.

They are from Kiwi and I spent $10.90 (yes, total, including shipping) on the 11" blunt "meat knife" and the paring knife. Of course I'll post a review after I get them and use them for a while.

You can get them online here.

Just spreadin' the love,
John

Thanks for the heads up. Total for all the knives is $39.70. I'll have to wait to order them though.

Wow these are inexpensive. I'd like to order the top two. Thanks for the info.
Maybe a Dexter cleaver too.

Wow these are inexpensive. I'd like to order the top two. Thanks for the info.
Maybe a Dexter cleaver too.
Kiwi offers a cleaver.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]13.5" length x 4" width (1 lb) - left photo - $14.95

John

[/FONT]

From the above quoted review-

I used my paring knife to whack the lid off a persnickety glued-shut can of Lyle's Golden Syrup, and in my zeal, the tip bent over almost double. I thought, Oh no! but then I bent it back in place with a pair of pliers, and it's basically good as new.

This illustrates the quality of these knives-stamped crap steel.
Impossible to get really sharp and impossible to hold an edge.

Like a lot of things in life if its too good to be true- it is.

There are many much better inexpensive choices for knives.

If these knives were BBQ ribs they would be boiled.

From the above quoted review-

This illustrates the quality of these knives-stamped crap steel.
Impossible to get really sharp and impossible to hold an edge.

Like a lot of things in life if its too good to be true- it is.

There are many much better inexpensive choices for knives.

If these knives were BBQ ribs they would be boiled.
Did you see this part?

That formerly keen edge was undoubtedly curled-over, battered, and slowly dissolving into something less fierce.

Normally, I would have started swearing at this point, but before I grabbed my sauce-coated knife and went huntin’, I remembered that heck, the thing only cost me $3. I could afford to sacrifice it. On a lark, I decided to see how it’d fare on a fresh, ripe tomato, given its compromised state. Like a razor, it schussed through the tomato. I tried it again on various parts of the blade. All were fine. After a quick hit with a steel, it was even more razor-ic. I baby my Kai Shun santoku, and I can’t keep it that sharp for more than a meal or two at a time without a trip to the stone. You’re trying to tell me that an essentially FREE tool can shrug off such abuse with aplomb?
John

Well dang it John.
Much as I would like to give em a shake I just can't help but remember where these are made and of our fellow Americans out of jobs (including me) I'm not trying to get on a high horse or anything, or criticize you or anyone else for buying things not made in America. I just think it's important to buy local and or American products. It can't always be done, but as a Union member I feel it is my duty to do the best I can to support America and Americans, and after all BBQ is an American invention.
Happy smokin
Bing

John,

I'm buying the whole set! I need another set for the Lake anyway. Heck I paid $50 for one knife last week that prob couldn''t live up to these reviews. If they are only 1/2 as good as they say I come out ahead. So cheap I don't see much risk!

Thanks,
Boat

John,

I'm buying the whole set! I need another set for the Lake anyway. Heck I paid $50 for one knife last week that prob couldn''t live up to these reviews. If they are only 1/2 as good as they say I come out ahead. So cheap I don't see much risk!

Thanks,
Boat
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I need a set for the competition knife roll. I am tired of packing up my babied Globals to go on the road.

John

Did you see this part?

John

John do not take my comments personally, I am a knife junkie and take my knives seriously.

The two reviews you mentioned were written by the same person-I do not know him or his qualifications. Many of his statements could lead me to believe he is somehow connected to the vendor.

The fact that he could bend the knives with pliers speaks volumes- if you bend ANY quality knife it will snap!

Probly could pick up all the American made carbon steel knives you want for .50 to a buck apiece at any local garage sales,wiped down, oiled they work just fine

John do not take my comments personally, I am a knife junkie and take my knives seriously.

The two reviews you mentioned were written by the same person-I do not know him or his qualifications. Many of his statements could lead me to believe he is somehow connected to the vendor.

The fact that he could bend the knives with pliers speaks volumes- if you bend ANY quality knife it will snap!
Oh, I don't take it personally at all. I don't own any Kiwi's (yet), and neither do you.

I knew someone would bring up the "stamped" argument, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

John

Not to start an argument but to join the Knife Makers Guild your knife has to bend to a 45 and not break if it does your temper is wrong. A lot of knives are either cast or made of what they call a powder metal, cheaper than quality steel but they break easy.

JD
Are you sayin there are knives made in America? Montana no less??? Well golly gee willikers. I checked out their site I and I liked what I saw. Prices are good too. Nothin against Thailand, I love their food, but we gotta eat too.
Bing
P.S.
My intention here is to say what I think. Not to hurt anyones feelings. As you get to know me you will find this to be true.

JD
Are you sayin there are knives made in America? Montana no less??? Well golly gee willikers. I checked out their site I and I liked what I saw. Prices are good too. Nothin against Thailand, I love their food, but we gotta eat too.
Bing
P.S.
My intention here is to say what I think. Not to hurt anyones feelings. As you get to know me you will find this to be true.

Well a quick check on the net finds that Montana Knife Works is actually in Massachusetts and/or Connecticut and they are a manufacturers rep. Their website doesn't claim to be American made. I guess it's possible that their knives are made in the USA but I doubt it.

Back