WSM wood question

SincinnatiSmoke

Reaction score
Do you prefer to bury 4-5 chunks thru out the coals or lay 1-2 on top the hot coals every hour or so? I have done both ways with success and failure both ways. Once came out like an ashtray and another time came out the best cook so far.

Depends on the type of wood. Mesquite is very strong. Pecan and Hickory are on the heavy side too. The Fruit and nut woods are milder. Also, Poultry adsorbs smoke readily. Next is pork then beef.

Experiment and find which you like the best.

Good Luck!

On edit, I'll bury some and leave some on top. The meat will only absorb smoke to about 140*F internal so don't pile it on after that.

I'd first start with a small hot fire and have your wood chunks spread out from there because you want the wood chunks to heat up before they start to burn and smoke. You will get a cleaner fire and smoke.

Last year I made about the best brisket I have ever made and I don't remember the steps I took :crazy:. Had a perfect smoke ring and such a nice taste I had to beat my friends hands off it before he devoured $40 worth on his own. I should probably write down every cook so I can see what may or may not have made it good or bad.

As long as there's a good fire going I don't think it matters, I spread them across the top and bury them, I hardly ever add more though. Like I will light 1/4 bucket coal then add it to the top, then put wood across the top

I mix 4 to six chunks (or equivalent) in with my coal AND throw a piece on the hot coals on top.

Works for me every time.

When I use my WSM 22.5 I soak about ten chunks of wood over night. Then I but 3 chunks on the coals about 30 minutes before the I add the meat. While smoking I put 3 more chunks on after an hour, then 3 more chunks after an hour and a half to 2 hours. Hope that helps. I just bought a WSM 14.5. I've only smoked on it twice, so I have no advise on it yet.

I just did some Tri Tips on my Weber Smokey Joe Conversion and it seems hard for me to get a nice clean blue smoke. Seems like just a small amount of wood creates a LOT of smoke. I have bushels of Pecan limb trimmings anywhere from 3/4" to 1" in diameter and around 10" long so I have been throwing a large amount of them in when I start the fire and wait for Pecan coals. That seems to give me a great BBQ taste...

I mix about 1/4 dry wood chunks to 3/4 charcoal all through the ring on any of my 3 WSM's. Light them up and wait for the smoke to clean up. I have never added anything after ignition. Everything I have cooked has come out near perfect since I started dong this.

I do about the same as cheez59 but usually throw in a handful of competition pellets later in the smoke. Works for me and my UDS.

Sometimes when I add wood mid cook it seems to smoke a bit heavy and dirty. When I have them buried it smokes clean but sometimes doesn't have enough flavor. Maybe I should just bury more than 4 to keep it clean and add more flavor.

I like to ask for advice on things instead of just experimenting. Gets expensive when a piece of meat comes out below standards.

Cooker up to temp, meat on, add wood chucks on top, minion method for the win!

yup, i do the same thing and it works well for me. i don't put any chunks on until i see that all the white smoke from the charcoal has burned off, then i put the meat on, then the wood. i usually do 2 chunks at a time, one apple and one hickory or pecan, once it stops smoking i add more

Back