sous vide blow torch

ironmanerik

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Did a search but everything I found was a couple years old. What are you sous vide pros using for a blowtorch?

Try this:

20191231-213218.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Giraffe-Prof...encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1578881777&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I've seen a couple of videos where the use a torch called a Searzall.

I have a Searzall, while it does a great job, it takes forever. I wish I had my $75.00 back.... I used it on a slab of ribs and it took about 9 minutes..... Plus you will go through a ton of gas...

Thanks,
Greg

I have a Searzall and a weed burner....they are both a bit extreme on opposite ends of the spectrum. Searzall needs more "oomph" and the weed burner is more of a "burn" than a "sear" in my experience. I think the Searzall is great for caramelizing sauce on ribs though.

Here's what I've found since doing a review of the InkBird Sous Vide cooker:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275794

lacQel0.jpg

Harbor Freight blowtorch is the way to go for beef hands down IMHO. For chicken with skin go with a heatgun. The hg does not heat the skin as fast. If you use the ft it will heat the skin too fast and char the outside and just melt the fat under the skin. The hg brings the temp up evenly.

Good Luck!

I've been searing over a chimney of coals, thought I was missing out without a blowtorch. Thanks for all the replies

Here's what I've found since doing a review of the InkBird Sous Vide cooker:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275794

lacQel0.jpg

Harbor Freight blowtorch is the way to go for beef hands down IMHO. For chicken with skin go with a heatgun. The hg does not heat the skin as fast. If you use the ft it will heat the skin too fast and char the outside and just melt the fat under the skin. The hg brings the temp up evenly.

Good Luck!

Happy... He was not asking for a Falcon Heavy.. :twitch:

This must be for putting colour on the anemic looking cooked meats?
Ed

Color, texture, and most importantly, flavor are all involved in a good sear.

I use a variety of devices:

Charcoal grill, especially if it is already lit for other cooking. Weather dependent.

Cast iron or steel pan for indoors on flat surface items (great for a steak, less so a rack of lamb)

Weed burner for large and irregular shaped items.

Salamander broiler as another indoor option that is an alternative to a metal pan or using a big torch outdoors (weather)

An electric heat gun for searing in my office at work.

The first four are all great options with slight differences. The heat gun is like the Searzall, too slow but better than nothing in a pinch.

Color, texture, and most importantly, flavor are all involved in a good sear.

I use a variety of devices:

Charcoal grill, especially if it is already lit for other cooking. Weather dependent.

Cast iron or steel pan for indoors on flat surface items (great for a steak, less so a rack of lamb)

Weed burner for large and irregular shaped items.

Salamander broiler as another indoor option that is an alternative to a metal pan or using a big torch outdoors (weather)

An electric heat gun for searing in my office at work.

The first four are all great options with slight differences. The heat gun is like the Searzall, too slow but better than nothing in a pinch.

If you had to pick only one of the sear methods you gave, based on overall results, which would it be and why? Just curious.

Charcoal grill is my favorite (if convenient) for cooking *and* searing.
Cast iron pan for a small number of steaks if it’s cold/wet outside.
Gas grill using the “griddle” side of grill grates for many steaks or in a hurry.
I hardly use my Otto Wilde broiler any more, though it’s really fast for a couple steaks.
Searzall is now collecting dust, it puts a good crust on but it’s just too slow.

I’m starting to lust over Santa Maria grills, so the top line above may change this summer if I can be confident that loose sparks won’t catch the trees hanging over me in my back yard on fire (as many campfires as I’ve built in dry forests that still stand, I’m probably just being paranoid).

Back