Weekday / Everyday BBQ recipes and resources?

nickmv

Full Fledged Farker
Does anyone here have a link to a great site for the everyday barbecuer?

I discovered Myron Mixon has a book, but it gets absolute trash reviews and says the recipes are F'd up and many ask you to constantly re-use 'que that you probably didn't cook the weekend before.

Anyone got anything solid they can point me to that I might not discover through a simple Google search?

This site!

I have a weber cook book that i enjoy. Every recipe so far has been very good. I also decide what I want to make then search this forum or the web to come up with recipes. I also agree between the throwdowns and general cooks on here there is plenty of ideas/recipes.

It would help if you posted what you were cooking on.
Most searches engines just lead you back to this site, anyways. You can search this site below.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]Look for[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
[/FONT]

If you think of your cooker as an outdoor oven or stove, you will realize that you can use regular recipes from a cookbook. I do all my outdoor cooking on a kettle, and treat it as a oven, using recipes from, for example, The Joy of Cooking.

Thanks for the suggestions, I actually have never even noticed the Throwdowns subforum before.

It would help if you posted what you were cooking on.
I've got a ton of flexibility:
  • 22" WSM
  • 18" OTS
  • Yoder YS640

Two ovens and a grill/oven.

I can't help but feel that was a sort of jab. Whatever floats your boat, I'd say this is a pretty fair lineup of cookers for most cooking. If the recipe requires something else, then it's certainly not everyday backyard barbecue/grilling for weeknights. I'm guessing the average forum member here has 2-3 cookers total, with a very similar variety to what I have. The Yoder can match gassers @ 600F.

I can't speak for Dads4, but I don't think his comment was a jab. Those cookers have a respectable rep on this site. I'm just guessing that the comment meant that you are pretty much unlimited in recipes that will turn out awesome. I agree that you can use any recipe written for an oven or a grill or a smoker. :thumb:

This is a great place for recipes and ideas. They sort of run in cycles- some brand new to me and some oldies that I had forgotten. One of my great joys is when a Brethren pops up with a recipe that I just have to try- I get fixated. The wife just takes out her pad and says "what do you need from the store?" She thinks my obsession is funny.

I can't speak for Dads4, but I don't think his comment was a jab. Those cookers have a respectable rep on this site. I'm just guessing that the comment meant that you are pretty much unlimited in recipes that will turn out awesome. I agree that you can use any recipe written for an oven or a grill or a smoker. :thumb:
Exactly. I do all my cooking on two kettles-grill/ovens. Once you know how your cookers behave, you can cook anything you feel like. For example, many here say that meatloaf is better on an outdoor cooker and I agree. But the preparation is the same, and you are cooking for a certain time based on the cooker's temperature.

1. I've had good luck with AmazingRibs.com.
2. I have enjoyed lots of good que following recipes in a variety of books, especially Steve Raichlen's stuff.
3. This forum is an almost infinite source of ideas and recipes.

Seriously, if you can't find ideas for dinner by reading this site, I don't know what to tell you...

Back